• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
laser green 1.9

Horn

laser green 1.9

Have just removed my headlight to get at the horn which had stopped working, I cleaned up the two electrical points, but no joy. When I put the multi meter on it their was still no sign of the magic 12v. Was just about to remove the panal under the steering wheel when I realized I was pressing the wipe/wash stalk and not the horn. :( Only been driving the car for 10 years. :) Any how should there be two rubber hose from the compressor to the horn.

Anthony

Yes, one for low tone and one for high tone (there's actually two horns)

Guest turnip
I realized I was pressing the wipe/wash stalk and not the horn. :D  Only been driving the car for 10 years. ;)

thats the sort of thing I'd do!

I blame the fuel smell in the car for my 'blonde moments'

:D

DrSeuss

lol, when i replaced all the ancilliaries wiring in my engine bay I managed to plug it in so the horn triggered the windscreen sprayers. And vice versa......

Paintguy

Slightly off topic, but does anyony have a picture of how it fits?

My car came with an aftermarket unit on, but somebody has kindly donated a horn, compressor, and bracket (thanks James).

I can't seem to make any sense of which way round it all goes though ;)

fulani

My horn only works on the high tweet bit. Quite comedy when I see a mate in town...

mak
My car came with an aftermarket unit on

My advice would be to stick with the aftermarket item, as in my experience oe horns never last that long!

laser green 1.9

I put another rubber hose running from the compressor to the horn and it sounded terrible, sounded more like a 1930's car. :wacko: I'll have to stick with the high pitched squeek. ;)

richsmells

get a massive one out of a Scania 38 tonner. That'd be cool.

Mine sometimes works properly and sometimes only on the lower pitched one. The button sticks slightly too! :D

Edited by richsmells

Rob_the_Sparky
Slightly off topic, but does anyony have a picture of how it fits?

My car came with an aftermarket unit on, but somebody has kindly donated a horn, compressor, and bracket (thanks James).

I can't seem to make any sense of which way round it all goes though  :D

The OE one sounds like a clown's horn! Rather embarrissing to use and takes a second or so to do anything after pressing the button so often too late!

Paintguy
The OE one sounds like a clown's horn!  Rather embarrissing to use and takes a second or so to do anything after pressing the button so often too late!

Lol, well I still can't work out how it fits, so I might just bung the cheapo back on anyway. ;)

I've a feeling the bracket's bent like a banana, and that's why it won't go together properly, but without seeing another I can't be sure. :D

Edited by Paintguy

Edp
My horn only works on the high tweet bit. Quite comedy when I see a mate in town...

:D Thats sounds just like the one on my MI.

I had a bit of a rage at some pissed idiot on a bike and i think he laughed at the high pitched horn i made at him!

Ed

pj838

When I stop outside a mates house and am too embarrassed to beep the horn, then its time for action!

Just stripped down my compressor and horn and got it working again OK, but only on the high tone. There was only one hose, from the compressor outlet straight to the top horn (?) - is there a T-piece of some sort usually fitted that will supply both horns?

Took the top off the compressor, found a loose spring inside (?), chucked this. I'm assuming the white powder and 'sponge' are dessicant to soak up any moisture from the air inlet? Anyways this powder had been blown through the whole system, blocking the horn inlet channel and fouling up the inner metal horn components (diaphragms ?) - prised these out and cleaned them all out, took the little rubber compressor blades out and cleaned them up, cleaned up the contacts, voila, it works :)

jonD6B

There is only one pipe on my horn aswell. After stripping the whole thing down because it wouldn't work it turned out to be a bad earth wire despite looking fine just incase anyone else is having trouble. You can just get to the terminals from underneath to run an earth and a feed to them to test it first without losing the skin off your knuckles fighting to remove it. :D

Sign in to follow this