• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest ashnicholls

Piston Liners

Guest ashnicholls

Just reconditioning my engine.

and i have just lightly honed out the piston liners. there is a small ridge in the piston liners where the piston rings sit when the piston is at the top.

is this ok, or should i hone them out abit more.

or does it need new liners?

cheers

Wurzel

Mate, judging from you other threads, I stongly suggest you get yourself one of the older style Haynes manuals from Ebay or similar. It will contain all the information you need and more.

:blink:

Guest ashnicholls

got a haynes manual, its rubbish. cant find anything i need in it.

Miles

Not knowing what 'small' means it's difficult to say, But honing this will do nothing as the piston doesn't go that high,

If the bores out of tolerance you will need new liners, Check with your engine builder who's honed your liners,

But the info wil lbe in the Joke book, as Nick's said you need the old one, Not the new bog paper type

Guest ashnicholls

im the engine builder. i have lightly honed it with a honer?

ok, will look for an old book,

cheers

Guest ashnicholls

if the engine were to need new liner, how much do they cost, could i just use a good 2nd hand pair. cheers

fiji bob

they are around £250 for a set, if you did buy new or used liners you would need to have the liner protusion checked unles you fancy doing it yourself

Guest ashnicholls

flip these better be ok, this is turning out to be very expensive.

Guest ashnicholls

my mechanic mate, says they are fine. only a sharp ridge would be serious.

mickie

i have a problem i think with my liners, i cant find anything in search but seems this helped me a little with my problem .. the other problem i think i may have is i have straight lines going down my honed out liners, will this be a problem ? or will i be ok bedding in my piston rings on them ?

cheers

boombang

not really as oil will pass freely from one side of rings to the other.

If the rings pass over any sort of ridge, then I would hazard a guess that in the time the rings would normally start to bed in, they are screwed.

ALEX

Honing isn't done to remove imperfections or shape a liner in any way. Honing out that slight lip wont achieve anything, besides it would probably take forever.

Honing is to create a rough surface and remove the glaze for new rings to bed into.

mickie

i took my liners to get honed about 2 weeks ago, i still haven't got round to putting them back in my engine block, but am i wasting my time sticking in my liners after the machine shop somehow made a couple of straight lines going down my liner ? only one of the liners look bad, the rest look perfect..

you can just about feel the straight lined groove with your finger nail

dzddvds.jpg

Edited by mickie

Guest davebxgt

My mi16 liners had ridges, but they honed out completely (see pic), however I have seen honed out liners that look like yours but are still acceptable. Just take them to an engine builder and get them measured to see if they are close enough.

4.jpg

Dave

Guest ashnicholls

ye mine looked exactly the same as mickie's with the slight ridges at the top.

I have fitted them now, and I am just hoping for the best.

Sign in to follow this