• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ANDYGON

Engine Number Location On A Mi16

ANDYGON

hi all im just about to send off the document to tell the dvla that my 1.6 is now a 1.9 16v ;)

but i cant find the engine number i know it should be on the block somewhere but where? :P

also has everyone else told the dvla that they have different engines in there cars?

many thanks

andy

M3Evo

Everyone should've done!

Think the engine No.'s stamped on a little tag riveted to the block. (on the alloy one anyway :P )

kate205gti

I didnt as i didnt have an engine number (I bought the engine seperately) - AFAIK the log book only shows cc (which is the same if it was an 1.9 8v) and not valves, so I didnt worry

the insurance company knows all the info thou :P

ANDYGON

yeah i brought the engine seperate too

where's the tally? ive looked. :P

Alex G

I thought you only had to say if you change capacity?

Ryan

The V5 form has a section for telling the DVLA of any changes, and this includes a box for engine number, so I'm guessing you will have to tell them.

ANDYGON

yeah you just fill in that its changed to 1905 and the engine number.. that i still cant find.

tomodling

the engine number is on a small aluminium plate riveted to the block but it is hard to get at.

you need to lie under neath the car and look up at the block. it is toward the cambelt end of the engine.

sorry if thats vague but i did it a while ago. i'll try and have another look when i have some time.

MAXI explained where to find it to me so he may be able to describe it better.

hope that helps.

Alan_M
the engine number is on a small aluminium plate riveted to the block but it is hard to get at.

you need to lie under neath the car and look up at the block.  it is toward  the cambelt end of the engine.

Thats if the engine number sticker is still there :P

Mine fell off, and is now safely lodged in my keyboard. I need to change mine also as the DVLA think my new Miami is still a 1.6.

Phil H

yes, lay under the engine, with the the clutch cable touching your nose and your feet hanging out the front, with an inspection lamp behind you, then look up towards the cambelt area and you will see it stamped onto a silver plate rivetted to the block, perhaps 4 or 5 digits in length, along with black writing saying something like 1CWT.

I forgot to note it when the engine was out and as my eyesight is crap, I got my missus to do it, she was far from impressed!!!

dee205

Bugger to all that. When mine is finished it's staying 1.6

No insurance company in N.Ireland would even consider taking me on with a Mi, and I'm 25.

I'd be as well donating an organ to try and pay the premium.

Silly as I may sound, there's no justification in around2k a year to get insured.

:P

ANDYGON

cheers for the info. i cant belive i had it on a lift today and didnt think to check :P

ill get under it tomorrow :)

as for not declairing it ;)

pugboyracer

Whoops! Haven't changed mine yet, and its been in there 8 months! :P

M3Evo
Bugger to all that. When mine is finished it's staying 1.6 

No insurance company in N.Ireland would even consider taking me on with a Mi, and I'm 25.

I'd be as well donating an organ to try and pay the premium.

Silly as I may sound, there's no justification in around2k a year to get insured.

:P

Err, how about the justification of if you kill someone, you might just as well have no insurance at all! Or even if you break someone elses car in a major way, you'll be screwed.

If you can't afford the insurance, you shouldn't be driving the car.

There now. Isn't that jolly ;)

MikeT

bugger mine is still registered as a 1.6 on the v5..

best get that sorted asap :P

Mike

Rob Turbo

With my car being a 1.9 on the v5, if i put a 1.9 Mi in, and didnt change the engine number, but told the insurance company, would i be insured still?

spikey_richie

Did you ever do this Andy? The V5 still says it's a 1.6...

ANDYGON

kind of lol..... i didnt see a plate on the block so i just put on v5 that its now a 1905 instead of 1580.

i wrote it on there when i sold it to Jamie so it's possible the dvla ignored it.

has he had any interest in selling it? i noticed it on pistonheads.

spikey_richie
kind of lol..... i didnt see a plate on the block so i just put on v5 that its now a 1905 instead of 1580.

i wrote it on there when i sold it to Jamie so it's possible the dvla ignored it.

has he had any interest in selling it? i noticed it on pistonheads.

Came back as 1.6, and directline think it's a 1.6 so...

S33GAV

then it's not insurred!

ANDYGON

have you sorted this yet richie?

just write 1905 on the v5 when it gets sent off.

as for insurance you'll have to tell them about all the mods anyway so mentioning it has a mi lump on top of all the mods wont affect your final premium that much anyway.

Edit: try this, tell them about all the mods first and not the mi engine then tell them you now plan to have the lump put in tomorrow. i did it with flux and my quote went up by £29 including admin fee.

Edited by ANDYGON

Alastairh

Re write back to the Dvla Richie, Myself and Ben Allen have had problems before with the dvla and engine numbers before, but a little moaning down the phone makes wonders.

Alastair

Sign in to follow this