• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AndyR

Fuel Pipe Union 1.6 Gti

AndyR

Ive been trying to replace my fuel pipes in the Mi16 205 this morning. It was a 1.6 before I converted it.

Just below the brake servo unit is where the solid fuel pipes come up into the engine compartment. There they terminate with a 14mm nut and another nut with the flexi rubber hose attached. I used 2 x 14mm spanners to loosen both nuts and now one nut has dropped off the thread down onto the solid fuel line The 2 are still joined. When I rotate the remaining nut head the flexi hose spins, sometimes it doesnt. Ive tried pulling

but it wont come off. How do you remove it?

les3002

ive got the same problem with mine mate havent a clue how to get it off.

pug_ham

If you remove the fuel filter they should just come apart afaik, mine did anyway.

Graham.

les3002

ive removed my filter and the nut on the fuel line but i cant see how it comes off?

Dream Weaver

Just bringing this back up as I have the same problem now, anyone got any ideas how to remove the bloody pipe from the fuel filter to the solid pipe?

sonofsam

Dream Weaver did you manage to remove the pipe? mine wont budge either ;)

pacey205

Not quite sure how that works then as mine was just attached with a metal clip rather than a nut.

I assume seeing as the how rotates aside of the pipe that it must be clamping on some kind of collar which would therefore suggest that they are an interference fit other than the nut so maybe try pulling a bit harder.

If your replacing the pipe could you not cut it to get it off, you could then see exactly how its attached and then know to re-attach a new pipe. Not very usefull if you need the car immediately I know but still.

Michael

jonah

Yep just pull harder!

There is an "olive" on the end of the metal pipe, when the union is screwed together this gets compressed into the pipe and makes a seal. It was pretty well stuck on my car, I had to crush the metal pipe slightly with pliers before it came unstuck (didn't matter as I was replacing it).

KaspaCti

Had same problem recently. As other posts say it's an interference fit which I presume 'locks up' over the years. Just apply a bit more force combined with a twisting motion and it should come off. IIRC it helped when I removed the bracket that hold the pipes to the bulkhead, this gave me a bit more room to get a hold of the metal pipe. Shouldn't need to attack it with any tools once nut is undone.

sonofsam

Cheers Chaps ,will give it another go tonight,pips are completely off so will get the little devil in the vice :blink:

jonah

Handy tip if you're replacing the metal fuel line - if you have a pipe flaring tool, you can substitute the original olive fitting with a flare, and reuse the same screw fitting to connect it to the fuel filter rubber pipe. I've done this and it works fine, no leaks.

Sign in to follow this