• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mikeyde

Cage Time I Belive...

Andrew-Gray

891F.jpg

Do you need to wear a helmet when using a seat like this ?

sparcopista.jpg

I was thinking about getting a cage and one of these seats for saftey.

Edited by Andrew-Gray
  • Like 1

driversdomainuk
891F.jpg

Do you need to wear a helmet when using a seat like this ?

sparcopista.jpg

I was thinking about getting a cage and one of these seats for saftey.

Yeah for sure!

driversdomainuk
Yeah for sure!

Obviously they would be quite safe to not wear a helmet on the road.

johnrobertgordon

:) What an interestin topic. I'm fitting a rollcage to my car with bucket seats as i'm going to be using it for road rally's. The car was purchaced purley for road rallying But! as the insurance is costing me over £1300 i may as well use it on the road aswell. (i have a company car which i'll use most of the time but on hot summer day's the pug will be out.)

The only thing i'm concerned about is letting people sit in the back. Road rally rules state that the rear seats must be left in. I think the argument in this thread got way out of hand. For a start........if your buckets and harnesses are fitted corectly you aint going no where... belive me. :D

At the end of the day there is no law conserning rollcages so it should be left to the drivers descression. :o

Guest CB-Dave

did you not see the bit where the racecar driver got chucked out of his car with the "proper" harnesses and seats "properly" fitted??

but hey - I'm well out of this one now lol!

johnrobertgordon

cant have been properly fitted. Have you ever watched the word rally championship. The onbord cameras always show that the driver and co drivers never move. The only thing you have to be carfull with is your arms. I broke 2 fingers and sprained my wrist after rolling a car with a cage, but i never even moved.

Ollieb7

Wow this is a long thread

I've been allowed back in again after being banned for not giving my address details, however.... how refreshing to see 205 owners concerened about safety and with good reason!

My car is currently stripped down and frankly when you see it with no plastic panels there is b#gger all there to protect you especially with the likes of hitting a tree or side impact with a car.

I have bought a SD cage and even with the removable diagonal you would not be able to use the rear seats (you could with OMP) - you could modify the rear seats in order to make the interior look standard for which im after - but use them - no. The interesting thing (and at the time of writing i cant remember) but the article on how to fit a cage be it the SD or OMP shows exceedingly bad welding for the bolt in brackets - with bad welding and these brackets just pop stright through the floor of a car in a roll - hence seam welding in rally cars - moral get a coded welder to do the job.

A cage is going to be better than no cage no doubt - fit it - you only have to look at the picture of the red car to convince your self

As for the argument of hitting your head - 'padding' or big folding roof on head, neck and where will it stop you choose - i'll take my risk with the padding thank you very much!

The only thing about cages ..... you loose the original look of the car and thats what i like about them most so thats a shame - but what use is an original look if your dead

As an introduction of myself as it's been a while since i've been on (the rules have changed!) dont mind me if i pop in now and again (i tend to frequent the MLR site) as i've had now my 5th 205 GTI over a period of 15 years and my current for 4 years with bills for restoration of 10k+ and its still not finished! so if i ask questions please remeber me and give a go at an answer as i'd much appreciate it as once i've made enough post i'll be able to show you what i've been up to for the last 3 years (looks standard but aint!) :)

cybernck

surely the welds in SD cage article were all good, as that's the very cage the red car had :).

Ollieb7
surely the welds in SD cage article were all good, as that's the very cage the red car had :).

Ive checked - see the welding in the OMP article :D - definite no no - believe me part of my job is to inspect welding - welding like that usually means people get the sack!

Guest red8

What a great thread! I will soon be fitting a cage, 2 cobras and harnesses to mine because I am only using my car to race the rest of the time it will be worked on and stored in my garage.

The point I would like to make, refers to posts earlier in the thread about the causes of road accidents. I think CB Dave was saying that as a driver you can prevent accidents from happening, your fault or not. This suggestion seemed to be dismissed, Well I would like to say that, as a driver of some experience, who has driven everything from motorbikes to tractors, from towing tugs to hgv's, from mini to ferrari's ( I'm sure you get the message) I can quite honestly say that it is near on 100% possible to prevent accidents and protect yourself and others from harm on the roads. The buzz word is ' ANTICIPATION' If you drive and anticipate the roads and other road users potential actions then you put yourself in a much safer position. By driving with this in mind you do not have to drive like miss daisey but instead be very professional regardless of speed.

Guest twybrow

But in the WRC they use HANS, which is yet another bit of kit to lock a bit of you into that seat. I appreciate it probably doesnt do much to stop your body being thrown out of the window, but still not quite the same as the cages/seats/harnesses most 205 owners might fit.. Or am i way out...?!

Rob Thomson

The HANS is designed to help prevent Head And Neck injuries, isn't it? I think it's purpose is more to stop the head flapping about too violently than to stop it actually going outside the car. It's a load of bollocks in the WRC if you ask me (which you didn't, but I'm going to have a rant anyway) cos the drivers should obviously be spending all their time looking out of the side windows (which they can't do with HANS) rather than poncing about driving smoothly.

rich_w

Its the FIA gone mad thingy, needless to say this is going off topic :)

base-1
The HANS is designed to help prevent Head And Neck injuries, isn't it? I think it's purpose is more to stop the head flapping about too violently than to stop it actually going outside the car. It's a load of bollocks in the WRC if you ask me (which you didn't, but I'm going to have a rant anyway) cos the drivers should obviously be spending all their time looking out of the side windows (which they can't do with HANS) rather than poncing about driving smoothly.

the drivers hate them too! nice idea, poor execution

mbayley77
lol @ the snide little comment at the end - so, list some of these "thousands of bad situations that have nothing to do with the way you have been conducting yourself on the road" - I'll lay a challenge down - you list 10 and I'll say how they can be attributed to your own driving.

10 isn't too many, especially if there are thousands...

the detriments of cages "in road use" outweigh the benefits, they are only really to protect a car in the event of a roll over, hence the name "roll cage" - they're not called "crash cages", they will do nothing in the event of a four-on-the-floor crash.

my initial point was if you feel the need for a cage, then you will also be requiring a helmet and full padding, a five point harness and race seating with lateral protection.

how about "if you're that scared of everyone else's driving that it makes you feel like you need a cage, then you shouldn't be on the road" - I'm not saying you're a dangerous driver but to roll a car you need to perform some major acrobatics to get a car out of shape enough. You don't just go into rollover situations in a sedate drive to the shops...

Interesting topic but think your way off the mark here. Was in my mates car driving to the shops when his tyre blew at about 35 - 40 on a 60 limit road, the back end stepped and the front caught the hedge flipping the car straight over. nmot a fast accident but I was lucky not to break my neck from the roof collapsing in on me.

My point of view, if you can guarantee to duck from the impending crush of steel and concrete then forget the cage and carry on happy. but if like me your just human then fit a cage to make yourself feel that bit safer. My 205 now has a cage and i would rather risk my head on the cage than that of the road.

Guest fthaimike

what's peoples views on cages with aftermarket sunroofs still in the car?

as i have a non-pug car (mk1 golf) that im preping for track use but the damn thing has an aftermarket sunroof fitted at the moment.

it can be easilly removed as it comes in 2 pieces, top half that slides into the hole in roof & the bottom half that screws into the top half from inside but im stuck then with trying to fill the hole over?

Sunroof

shepherdfte

Interesting. I prepped my track/rally car from one with a aftermarket sun roof. Works fine, and I simply replaced the light alloy from back in the car, but simply glued a thin (ish) sheet of steel over the hole using aerospace glue. However, to stop it going 'flat', I did build a central brace in the middle. As I kept the air deflector etc, the car looks for all the world like it still has a sunroof, especially as I painted the steel black.

However! Note that the cage will only JUST go in with the frame bolted in, so I would plan to put the frame in later if I did it again (OMP 6point bolt-in).

In terms of the post subject, I would say it is fine as a road car (I use mine for both getting to work and national events). I basically kept all of the trim, carpet, etc, but got rid of all the heaavy underlay, and the rear seat metal etc. Cage definitely stiffens the car, and would certainly be benificial if I crashed on the road. Rear seats are a no-no with this cage, but I guess some will work.

Do you really want the rears? Getting in and out of the front is ok despite the door bars, but the back would be very hard because of the main hoop bolting to the seatbelt lugs etc.

On which note, the OMP cage prevents you fitting the normal seat belts, so the harnesses will also be a consideration for rear seat passengers.

Andy

changingman
how exactly are they dangerous in road cars? i dont understand, surely a car withou may fare worse in an accident than one with? :angry:

Ask that question after you have gone over a bump too rigorously and twatted your head on the cage mate :blush:

Edited by changingman

daz205

ok all this talk of proper installation but how much would it cost to install a roll cage and seats and where would yuou get it one in bristol?

Ollieb7
ok all this talk of proper installation but how much would it cost to install a roll cage and seats and where would yuou get it one in bristol?

Zero if you fit it yourself (easy!) and delivered to your door if you internet it!

For info - OMP allows you to keep back seats and door pulls and SD does not and looks more obvious!

ompcage071.jpg

OMP

cagelink2.jpg

Safety devices

The former fitted for the more descrete look and with full trim!

Beamer014.jpg

daz205

so are they just bolted in or did you weld it in place yourself?

• Like 1

Ollieb7
so are they just bolted in or did you weld it in place yourself?

You can bolt them in although both require the mounting points to be welded into the car - for all the effort I just ended up welding mine in - meant that the carpet would fit in afterwards neater with less bolt head intrusion.

Henry 1.9GTi

draggin this old thread up, but stu8v if your still on here who did your cage from the first page of this thread. Very interested in something which to me looks to be a good standard.

any other recomendations for a track/road 205 would be kool, i have harnesses and will be fully padded, so no hitting head issues, the padding will be better than the current stripped out sharp edged 205 interior.

Cheers.

Henry.

TRYNKEEPUP

may be of some use dimma do a show cage, big polished tubes, looks the part but not a saftey feature, fixes together with grub screws !!!!!! but you can keep all seats working.

Jolly Green Monster

may be of some use dimma do a show cage, big polished tubes, looks the part but not a saftey feature, fixes together with grub screws !!!!!! but you can keep all seats working.

Whats the point in that???