• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Toddman

Unichip?

Toddman

I don't know much about this so I am after some advice :)

I am thinking of getting my ecu set up properly and what is the best option

1. - Unichip

2. - Custom map by Wayne at chipwizards

I thought the unichip just piggybacked onto the existing "chip" and altered the signals it processes.Because of this I assumed the custom map would be the best route but I am really unsure.

It is the motronic 4.1 ecu

Cheers

Luke

cybernck

you're right about unichip.

pugnut has (or had) one on his mi16 which made 173 bhp iirc.

not sure about the gains with the other option but i guess it should be just as good, if not better.

the best option ofcourse would be a standalone fully mappable ECU :).

Anthony

I don't think ML4.1 can be remapped can it? Pretty sure that's why NickR went for M3.1 as that's the one that's easily remappable.

Unichip is fine for changing ignition timing and fueling, and should be able to do 95% of what a standalone ECU can do. In some ways it's a better solution, as it means you keep the standard ECU's cold start etc, but you are ultimately limited in what you can control and you have to retain things like the AFM.

C_W

The 4.1 can be remapped if the 3.1 can be as they will use a similar/standard kind of EPROM chip, it's just that the 3.1 is probably techincally a better system to use as it doesn't use an airflow meter.

Toddman

That's how I understand it C W :D

My mods are only mild and the AFM shouldn't really be a restriction.

I have a generic map with rev limit removed so a Unichip (I think) would be fine but then I expect a decent custom "chip/map" would be as good for the application.

Just hoped someone could give me a bit of a clue to the best value route :)

Cheers

Luke

davidmit

The unichip can also be used to control a shift indicator (to tell you when to change gear) and to control nos too :)

kyepan

Hiya,

can a unichip be used with an 8v ignitioned mi16?

C_W

No, the 8v system is too old (the ECU is just a bunch of resistors instead of a proper ECU "chip").

Ahl

I've heard that the unichip isn't best suited to mi16's.

Sign in to follow this