• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Simmy

Idea For Those With K+n / Pipercross Filters

Simmy

mine was previously locted behind the passenger side headlamp....

but now i've moved it... using the standard piping with a 90 degree bend it in the afm now sits neatly in front of the gearbox and the air filter dangling down to suck up plenty of cool air :lol:

Might have to change it back for winter though ;)

Buddha

How have you gone about holding the AFM in place? I don't know about the Pipercross kit, but the K&N came with a bracket to bolt the AFM to the battery tray so its held in place independent of what its attached to..

Any chance of a pic?

Cheers

Buddha

Simmy

well this is just a pipercross filter on standard hosing.... atm the afm is just positioned by the strength of the rubber piping but i'm gonna secure it a bit better... seems pretty stable though to be fair!

Cars still off the road and has only been taken for a spin up the lane and back and seems... well... about an extra 20bhp i reckon ;):lol:

just thought it was an idea as mine seemed pretty tight behind the headlamp... probs just secure it with a few cable ties B)

will get some pics up tomorrow. :P

Buddha

Not sure I would be too happy about having it held there by the jubilee clips alone. I know what you mean about it seeming cramped where they want you to put it.

I've been meaning to have a lok at the cabling that seems to converge in that area, and see if it can be tidied/re-routed to give a bit more space.. but, as ever, I can't be arsed..

I wouldn't imagine it would have much affect anyway, its not like your engine bay is suddenly going to become some huge vacuum with no air available?

Does sound like it likes to suck in a fair bit of air though, surprised I don't have leaves/cats/old ladies stuck to the air filter sometimes, what with the sound it makes (even when idling).

Best go and get drunk instead..

perfecto pug

just be careful of any puddles/fords etc, also any bends restrict airflow, idealy the whole intake will be totally straight

suth82

this is where the air filter sits on the 306 gti-6 btw. ;)

JayCC

How did you get it down there? By the time the AFM finishes, its over the frame of the car (behind the passenger headlamp) Did you cut this?

ashley peddle

or you could do what im in the middle of doing and cut the fogs out and use ducting to bring cold air up to the filter :)

Col

ash its more valves you need :)

ashley peddle

meh - its a good strong 1.9... will do me for now B)

when / if it goes bang THEN (and only then) will i Mi it B)

quite fancy some carbs though :)

sonofsam
or you could do what im in the middle of doing and cut the fogs out and use ducting to bring cold air up to the filter :)

I can spin Aluminium intakes to fit foglight apertures.have no picture at the moment but wil get one up if any bodys interested.

Sam.

sonofsam

You can just about see in this picture Air intakes

They worked a treat

ashley peddle

sam u got msn? peddle_ashley@hotmail.com - i want some! :)

Ahl

Thats pretty cool sam. They might be better if the aperture was more oval, but I take it you can't spin those though.

sonofsam
Thats pretty cool sam. They might be better if the aperture was more oval, but I take it you can't spin those though.

Thanks....well it could be 'tickled' in a vice or press if you wanted oval

GLPoomobile

Surprised nobody has mentioned the AFM angle police. They'll be going nuts!!

Ahl

Why would the AFM angle police get involved? The AFMAP have asked me to clarify that they see no AFMs here that are susceptible to gravitational acceleration! :P

GLPoomobile

Because I took it to read that the AFM has basically been swivelled 90 degress from where it would be on a standard car (so the trunking is pointing towards the ground) which would mean that the AFM is also pointing downward. I don;t know what effect this would have on the flap, but if people get their knickers in a twist about the AFM being on it's side then surely it must be just as bad in this orientation.

Not that I give a s*it.

jshep205gti
this is where the air filter sits on the 306 gti-6 btw. :P

Who told you that?

Before I put my 6 through a hedge the K&N was bolted straight onto the throttle body! It sounded fecking amazing.

Shep

Edd-XS

well my mates pipecross sits down towards the ground aswell, obviously pipercross and KnN have different mounting positions...

it sounds f***ing grimey though! :P

Edd

d-9

If you put it down low doesnt it just scoop up water and s*ite off the road?

gti-hysteria
Who told you that?

Before I put my 6 through a hedge the K&N was bolted straight onto the throttle body! It sounded fecking amazing.

Shep

how did the car run without the airflow meter???

jackherer
how did the car run without the airflow meter???

I assume '6' means he has a GTI6, these dont have afms.

Col
Because I took it to read that the AFM has basically been swivelled 90 degress from where it would be on a standard car (so the trunking is pointing towards the ground) which would mean that the AFM is also pointing downward. I don;t know what effect this would have on the flap, but if people get their knickers in a twist about the AFM being on it's side then surely it must be just as bad in this orientation.

Not that I give a s*it.

clearly not :)

Sign in to follow this