• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

eob

I was helping install a gearbox into a flipping proton last night and I noticed the cable shift mechanism in the car was perfect for a 205 conversion, with similar rods on the gearbox, and a similar throw to the cables.

The 205's gearshift can be very imprecise and sloppy, I'd wager a cable shift would also save weight. Has anyone ever completed a cable-shift conversion on a 205? Any pictures, information, advice?

Hilgie

boite806-1.jpg

boite806-2.jpg

Basically a Peugeot 806 / Citroen Evasion system.

eob

I love the way the builder of that system made it look as if nothing had been changed :) If it could be adapted, and was lighter, than the original rod-shift without moving from the current installation space, it would make an interesting conversion on any 205. I know you can all find your gears, but would mean faster gearchanges for sure and a lot more feel.

Hilgie

The 406 / C5 gearstick can be mounted on the original position.

blueice

How much effort does it require to mount the 406 stick?

Hilgie

Well you need the parts on top of the gearbox as well....after that is't quite straightforward.

Sergy

Would be interested to see how this improves the feel and speed of changes

blueice

My gear linkage is completly worn out, so I would be interested in fitting a 406 stick and linkage....

Is there a guide anywhere, expaining what I need? My gearbox is an MA so I have no idea if it would work or what.

eob

If I can find a 406 linkage in a scrapyard somewhere cheap,I'll fit it and write a how-to,but if someone's already done one I wouldn't mind a few pointers,I have a MA gearbox too.

blueice

Oh sweet, keep me posted anyway :D

If you could find two then I would buy one off you, save me a trip! :lol:

I turned off a main road eariler today up a very steep 1st gear hill and no matter how many times I put it in 1st - it just kept popping out :)

I had to hold it in ffs...

Edited by blueice

blueice

Hilgie - do you have any more detailed info on this modification?

Hilgie

Well you need some parts first:

- bracket on top of the gearbox

- cable system (from 405/C5 for floormounting, 806/Evasion for dash mounting)

The gearstickunit and cables cannot easily be separated from each other.

Both items (bracket and cable unit) match with each other, so you will have to source it from one car.

If you have a XU engine with BE gearbox the swap is quite simple. The system needs to be from a C5 or a 406 from 1998 or younger.

cable406_BEbox.jpg

If you have and TU engine (with MA gearbox) you can't easily swap from a 406/C5/806/Evasion as they were never made with a MA box.

However the 307 has a cable system as well and does have the MA gearbox.

cable307_MAbox.jpg

And a pic of both systems next to eachother:

cable.jpg

perfecto pug

this should be in the xu/be section really!!

eob

Why, the original question (even though it doesn't say so) is for an MA gearbox cable shift conversion.

Ahl

Hilgie, is it more precise/shorter than the original bars system?

eob

It will be identical to the gearshift in whichever donor car you choose, eg. 405/406/C5/307 etc, so tray a few of those cars out and you'll get an idea. Certainly the 405 is a huge improvement on the 205's rod system, and the bits would be so cheap to pick up. Surprised more people who use 405 Mi16 donor cars don't switch over the linkage too.

blueice

I gave the 406 gear change a go today actually - Its very definate, I like it. Also much smoother than having to move rods around.

I'm up for the conversion, bit worried that parts from a 307 are going to be rather expensive though.

Is there a diagram of the gear linkages of an MA box anywhere, so I can get a better idea of what goes where?

Thanks for that so far Hilgie, good stuff ;)

Edited by blueice

perfecto pug
Why, the original question (even though it doesn't say so) is for an MA gearbox cable shift conversion.

well i was refering for to the fact the pics and diagrams from hilgie are a be gearbox ;)

eob

I meant to say that actually, thanks Hilgie, that simplifies things a lot. I might have a go at adapting the (cheaper) 405/406 linkage rather than the 307, I'll report back and let you guys know how it went if I do.

Sam

You XU lot can't just waltz on in and nick every good thread ;)

Ahl

Shurrup peasants. ;):lol:B):P

eob

Roflol. We TU owners aren't going to be treated like second class citizens anymore, ya hear? ;)

Anthony

... 3rd class it is then ;)

eob

No, the third class slot is reserved for diesel drivers ;)

Anthony
;)

Sign in to follow this