• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
LlamaLover

One Last Plea For Help...Help!!

LlamaLover

Well, i've been around the houses several times with this one, and i've always got good advice on here (That post count is just for this username, i used to be someone else!) so hopefully someone can help!!

The problem is basically a "misfire" except i'm not totally convinced it is. Above 3000rpm the rev counter will bouce back and forth, stuttering and jumping. On the road, the car will loose power and jerk back and forth. The thing i've just realised is that there doesn't seem to be a "misfiring" noise from the engine when this happens. The main accompanying noise seems to be a PHUT... PHUT PHUT from the exhaust somewhere.

Everything has been checked by three different garages (one of them Skip Brown) and everything it could be works fine. The conclusion reached was that a new ECU should sort it. It made no difference...

I'm not much at all of a DIY mechanic, so any suggestions need to be stuff i can do! Otherwise i gladly invite anyone who knows what they're doing to come to Manchester and sort it for me- i will of course pay you for your time.

I'd appreciate all and any suggestions,

Many thanks,

Kb. :D

doughboy

ht leads damaged, not in right order??

Guest puggti

That would be continuos from the start though, what about Iginition Amplifier or Coil? :D

Ross

1 FAT PUG

if its just doing it when warm ether the coil or the plugs, have you put a new dizzy cap and rotor arm on it at all.??

LlamaLover

Plugs, dizzy, and ign amp are all new. Ht leads arent brand new........ but I assumed all these things would be the first things garages have checked though.......

Jim miami blue gti

I had a misfire type thing above 4000 and the car would pull back and lose power. Turned out to be the airflow meter have u checked this?

alex205mi16

it may not be related but i had a very similar problem with my mk2 golf... replaced ewverything as stated above and in the end it was the ecu relay an 8 quid part that had stuffed me of about 150 -200 notes, the strip in the relay had worn and it meant the ecu kept turing on and off in like a milisecond... i had the same thing witht the mental tacho and jerking... so check and replace all relays that could be a problem, i dont know 205 gti well yet, sop not sure what relays could be replaced... but worth a try... as i said earleir i am gutted for you mate

robertt

have you tried replacing the fuel filter?

LlamaLover

Brand new coil, leads, and fuel filter done today. Putting on brand new coil has actually made it WORSE! (starts just over 2000rpm now)

AFM was new (reconditioned from AutoFive) year and a half ago. Can a metal box with a flap in it really go wrong so soon?

Any other suggestions people??

;):rolleyes:

kate205gti

sounds similar to my mi16 atm - wont rev over 3k, rev counter bounces about like a loon when u press throttle, bangs, pops and spits flames ;)

so far Ive replaced Ign amp, coil, TPS, AFM, ECU, HT leads, plugs, fuel filter, dizzy cap, rotor arm, dizzy spacer plate, crank angle sensor, starter motor and ripped out immobiliser

tomorrow Im going to try and source new fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump, then gonna replace the whole loom!! :rolleyes:

If I manage to fix it I'll let u know!

fiji bob

does the rev counter look like its responding to actual engine revs or is it just jumping about? my old xs did something like that and it turned out to be the lt coil plug was damaged and sometimes made intermittant contact causing the rev counter to go nuts and the engine misfired

jonnie205

Are you sure the timing is set properly, if it isn't it wont matter what you replace itll still play up and seem to miss once its revving

cam belt could have jumped a tooth but then you'd get rough running throughout the rev range...

LlamaLover

Cos its a CAT car it has the Motronic 1.3 ECU which controls the timing. So nothing to fiddle with there.

Next step i suppose is another £150 on yet another AFM......... ;)

Guest slapbassmunky

hello there squire, i'm having similar problems with my 1.9 cat. it runs fine when cold though and starts to do what yours is doing when ive been driving for 6-8 miles or so. does it get worse if you sit at traffic lights or in traffic for a bit? and is it worse when you start it from hot? :ph34r:

so far i have replaced, ign amp, coil, plugs, leads, AFM, temp sensor, fuel filter,dizzy, rotor arm, main injection relays, lambda sensor (twice!). injectors have been cleaned and fitted with new o-rings.

i have checked, ALL wiring in every way known to man, sad, all hoses and some i diddnt know existed, fuel pressure, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump delivery, TPS, compression.

things i havn't checked, ECU, crank postn' sensor...

if and when you find out what's making your's play up mate id' be really interested to know!

If the AFM is only that old i'd say dont bother replacing it they don't go wrong after that little time, have you checked the lambda sensor? it can cause real pain in the ass problems if it aint up and running.

Edited by slapbassmunky

hexhamstu

kate/llamalover any progress on this? my problem is almost identical, and ive replaced pretty much everything i can think of. mines gets to 3k then just starts bouncing back down but you can force it past if you floor it for long enough it gets to 5k and is fine above that, but 3-5k is just a really bad misfire. doesnt matter if its hot or cold.

paul205mi16

sounds like same prob on my 205/mi16

jonD6B

I posted not to long ago with a misfire problem which sounds identical. It started after taking it for an MOT and I wasn't sure if they had messed with something so I took some advice and unplugged everything in the engine and plugged it back in again. Bizzarly, it cured it and the car hasn't skipped a beat since. Probably a long shot but it worked for me.

kate205gti

my last "wont rev over 3k" problem turned out to be a combination of sticking injector and knacked crank angle sensor - cas issues usually accompanied with flames/pops/bangs as its overfuelling and ignites

my latest "wont rev over 3k" problem is hopefully tps as its ccompanied by the phut phut phut noise and is just like youve hit the softcut rev limiter (but no bangs/flames) as its running lean/being starved of fuel

im running an mi on tbs with emerald ecu thou but hope that help :)

Sign in to follow this