• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TT205

Heater Fan Is Intermittant

TT205

Hi all

Heater fan control has been gradually getting worse, less and less powerfull - as if you can't turn the fan knob round far enough to get it on full speed

Appears it is probably the control in the dash - but any thoughts?

Problem now is that if you turn the fan on full it won't work at all, turning it very slowly from off (12.00 o'clock position) to about half (3 o'clock position) it will work, but if you try and turn it any further the fan just stops

If you leave it on full and go for a drive, every now and again it will come on for say 20 seconds and then go off again

I've had the front panel off and there is the white heater control board with the white ?pot with tracks behind it - this doesn't appear to want to prise off without brute force - can you just replace this board, or does it have to include the piece of fascia behind it

I've done a search and a 'resistor' keeps popping up in threads - what would be the symptoms if this was faulty/failed?

Cheers

Dave

Guest Brendan

Mine is exactly the same, dont know why though.

James H

The symptoms of a failed resistor would be exactly as you have described, intermittent working etc.

I got a garage to do mine around October time and it works perfectly now - the part was about £30. I can't tell you exactly what they did though I'm afraid.

pug_ham

It's unlikely to be the actual rotary control, just the resistor in the heater box in the passenger footwell. Held in by two screws, easy fix.

Miles did have some spare resistor modules or you can get them from the usual places, Autofive, Pug & GSF, you might need to remove the old one to check if it is a four or five pin one first though.

Graham.:blink:

TT205

Cheers guys

Guest pug205xsmuppet

hiya :D

mine has same problem, the problem is no earth! :D

if u look under the Glove compartment ur see the fan if u take the fan out,there is a thing that Kinda looks like a hard drive,

if u take that out there is a Hole at the bottom and if u tap that back together urs should work all the time,

Hope it helps :D

pug_ham
if u look under the Glove compartment ur see the fan if u take the fan out,there is a thing that Kinda looks like a hard drive,

Thats the resistor I was on about.

Graham.:D

Guest pug205xsmuppet

hiya

Sorry mate i didnt know wot the name was :D

thats wot i did to mine anyway!

Guest davidalger

Exactly the same happened to mine... replaced the resistor and now it's fine!

Guest pug205xsmuppet

hiya

I think its safe to say its a common thing on a 205 :D

TT205

Thanks all

OK I'll take the resistor out and check it

Can you get at the resistor directly or do you have to remove the fan first?

To get at this, I've had a look in the passenger footwell but I'm still unsure which bit I start attacking - so which two screws do you mean and do I have to pull the carpet back first or is there direct access?

Thanks

Dave

If I've time, I'll take some picc's and do a replace your resitor/fan article for the site

TT205

bump

pug_ham
Can you get at the resistor directly or do you have to remove the fan first?

No need to remove the carpet, it's seperate to the fan, there is usually a carpet cover iirc over the fan but if you can see the fan motor then follow the two wires from that & you'll find the resistor plug, should be a brown plug with four or five wires going to it. Two screws hold it in, diagonal to each other & one is quite close to the firewall. I can't find a rough picture in the Haynes joke book to show you where you need to look so hopefully my description of the location will suffice.

Graham.:)

TT205

Cheers Graham

Dave

richt

Mine seems to be intermitently working to as off monday, turn the control and it does nothing.

Have removed the carpet type panel cover, if i tap the motor she works? Same resistor problem or the fan motor sticking?

Cheers

Rich

pug_ham

Resistor unless the fan was squealing like a banshee before it started working after a tuning tap.

richt

It was squealy noisey when it first started and then quitened down.

pug_ham
It was squealy noisey when it first started and then quitened down.

Just a normal 10+ year old Pug fan then IMO & the resistor is the cheap bit to swap.

richt

Will get a resistor first, where from mate? My old man seems to think its the motor itself sticking the way it started with a tap?

pug_ham

If you are feeling lucky try a scrapyard or afaik GSF do them as mentioned earlier or have a look in Miles' Garage clearance sale in the for sale section.

205/309 Heater Resistor Modules 4 & 5 Pin £8.00 each

Graham.<_<

Sign in to follow this