• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ultimatepug

Metal Water Pipe On A 1.6 Gti

ultimatepug

any 1 got any handy hints on how to do this? ive not attempted anything like this before so any help will be apreciated!

regards

adam

newdean0

Fairly straightforward job. Just drain thhe cooling system either through the tap on the radiator or by just taking the hose off. Replace the hose then refill and bleed the cooling system (to bleed just run the engine with the radiator cap off and the 2 bleed screws undone and give the hoses a squeeze).

ultimatepug

cheers

adam

mrswampy

and before you put the new metla pipe give it a good coat of hammerite or similair,to give it some extra protection.

they dont take long to start going rusty again after they have being fitted

Super Josh

Yeah, I hammerited mine(well Smoothrite anyway) and it's still looking good.

You'll need to undo the screws inside the drivers wing, they will be rusted in quite well, so it's worth using an impact driver and some plus gas to shift them.

Josh

Guest ste

The screws holding mine on were completely corroded. I had to drill them out and ended up welding the tabs on the metal pipe to the chassis leg. :)

NickR

Wrap in plastic/shrink wrap to help protect from the elements.

John_B
and before you put the new metla pipe give it a good coat of hammerite or similair,to give it some extra protection.

they dont take long to start going rusty again after they have being fitted

I'd agree with that. I took mine off a couple of months after I'd replaced it with a new one from Peugeot, and it had already started to rust!

eob

They all burst, mine went aswell and the screw-heads from the bolts had rusted out completely, I had to drill them out and make a little bracket to mount the new one!!

Handy tip with Peugeots, when you take something off, if it's held in place with a Phillips 10mm bolt, replace it with a hex nut! They cost pennies and save a lot of hassle!

Ben Allen

How much are they from Pug roughly?

adam_young

What the pipe Ben? I bought a brand new one for my old 1.9 (never fitted it though) and I think it was something like £12.43. Some strange amount and not that much anyway.

ultimatepug

the old jubilee clips were knackered so i replaced them, but the new ones r useless! tight fit around the pipe, but they tighten upto a certain extent then thats it! can i buy genuine ones from pegeot does any 1 know????

adam

Beastie

If you have fabrication shop facilities or know someone who does tube manipulation then I'd always recommend making these pipes in Stainless Steel rather than spending money on original items. So long as you choose a suitable gauge (ie 16swg min) you'll never have to buy another one!

Simes

I've just replaced the 95,000 mile old pipe on mine - I guess it's that age as it still had the OE jubilee style clips on it. It was badly corroded outside and on inspection slightly inside too. However it wasn't leaking

What I'm getting to is Stainless would be nice but I'd stick to the £12 pipe, it's lasted.

ultimatepug

all sorted! very straight forward job afterall! shes now got 12 months ticket on her, ready to be taxed n insured. once again cheers

adam

Ahl

Is their any reason why you can't use a copper pipe?

Guest stephenplant

can you use plastic pipe like waste pipe ??

Sign in to follow this