• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TaffyTim

High Speed Shakes

TaffyTim

Hi

I have recently put some new tyres on my 1.9 and I went from Yokohamas to pirelli p5000's

When the Hammas were on the car no matter what speed i was doing there was never any shake coming through the steering wheel.

Now with the P5000's after i hit 80mph (on private roads) the steering wheel wheel vibrates and shakes.

Does it mean that the tyre centre have missfitted the new tyres or is it down to the diffrent tread on the tyre?

Anthony

Sounds like the wheels weren't correctly balanced to me - that's the normal cause of high-speed wheel shake, and would fit in with the wheels having just been changed.

Dave

If the tracking is slightly out, fitting new tyres can cause a slight vibration at speed as the tyres scrub slightly side-ways as you drive.

Pugnut

its also not uncommon for balancing weights to come off . take it back and get them to recheck the balancing .

also it could be dirt/rust on the mating face between the hub and wheel . easily checked yourself . just remove the wheel and take a piece of emery paper or a wire brush to each surface.

TaffyTim

cheers I'll take it back to the centre, the lads there were real nice so i cant see them being arsey about it :o

C_W

Sometimes it need a few attempts to get the balancing correct. Or sometimes trying somewhere else if they can't get it right.

MartinR

just dont get em to track it on those sodding alignment things that look fancy and do f*** all but look... well ... fancy

find someone with Dunlop gauges

C_W

But it's unlikely that bad tracking will make it wobble, it will just wear tyres out.

TaffyTim

Been to the tyre centre today and they have sorted my shakes. Thanks to the lads at National Tyres Bournemouth. Good lads be they.

Oh, matey at that place recons that F1's are poop, he says he used to use them all the time but would reconmend Avons to evrybody now. Any thoughts on this boys n gals?

Anthony

I too would recommend Avon's.... if you like pulling your car out of ditches B)

Everryone I know that's had Avon tyres has slated them, so unless the current range is much improved, I'd stay well away...

Edited by Anthony

Justin
Oh, matey at that place recons that F1's are poop, he says he used to use them all the time but would reconmend Avons to evrybody now. Any thoughts on this boys n gals?

Maybe he makes more money on Avons?

Maybe I'm just being cynical?

mi16nut

Do the Avons cost more by any chance?

Almost everyone on here will tell you that F1's are the best road tyre going. At £44 fitted, balanced & valved you can't go wrong.

Well, you can actually; don't fit a nice new set then go on a track day at Elvington B)

Mark.

C_W

Ignore ALL tyre dealers and distributors; they are in the business to make money and often they get bigger discounts on bulk buys from different manufactoruers.

At one time I was ringing round a lot of places tyring to source some S0-2s and I remember ringing up South West Tyres and I believe I spoke to one of the manager/owners, he reckoned I didn't need anything special or expesnive as S0-2 (dearer than F1s) on a hot hatch and recommended Yokohama tyres, and he even commented that they're all the same anyway... B)

Another place local to me; I was actually after a Yokohama AVS Sport in particular as I had some others already. He said he never touches Yokohama as they are no good in the wet - this I agreed with, but he recommended AVON tyres, and his unit is stacked to the raftors...with Avon tyres!!! :o

Nobody uses Avon tyres on the road that I know of. I've only heard bad stories about them in the wet from those that have used them before (ZZ# series I think)

I think the markup on Avon tyres will be higher than the F1s as sometimes they tend to price them similarly at retail but trade prices vary more, and bulk buying even more.

TaffyTim

Yeah your all most proberly right on the mark up and discount/commission which they might get when selling them. but when a bloke came into reception when i was there he was recomended Avons for his Volvo over mich's with a difference of saving for the customer or £50 for 2.

Also heres some test results for comparison

F1's

Grip in dry conditions 1.4

Braking in dry condtions 1.5

Grip in wet conditions 1.9

Braking in wet condition 2.0

Grip in snow 5.2

Comfort 3.0

Tyre noise (in car) 3.0

Tyre noise (external) 2.9

Tyre wear 3.0

Kilometers driven 2.102.100

Avon ZV1

Grip in dry conditions 2.0

Braking in dry condtions 1.9

Grip in wet conditions 2.7

Braking in wet condition 2.7

Grip in snow 3.8

Comfort 2.1

Tyre noise (in car) 2.3

Tyre noise (external) 2.5

Tyre wear 2.1

Kilometers driven 456.206

Where do you guys that recomend F1's use them. Track or normal road driving?

C_W

I use mine on the road or as wets for track days. I only use them as wets are track days puirely because they are new and you wear them out quickly in the dry. Once they werar down to the llimits I'll use them as wet/dry track day tyres.

Simmy

I currently have Avon ZZ1's fitted to my Gti and for general road driving they are fine... hold the road fairly well.

However.... the second you try and push them... they are absolute SH!TE... and i find them just outright scary in the wet... they just understeer FAR too easily. Used them round silverstone and they just spent the whole track time understeering when trying to put the power down coming out of corners... it'd just slide outwards :)

i feel more comfortable driving hard with the budget tyres on the speedlines fitted to the diesel!!!

can't wait to get the GTi back on the road... i'll be purchasing some F1's, can't wait :D

TaffyTim
you wear them out quickly in the dry.

I think this was mateys main reason for not recomending them, he was saying that in 20 mins on the oval track in Matchams Dorset he had melted that tyres so that they were raised higher on one side than the other.

I have never heard any 1 on here say a bad word against the f1s so ill give them a serrious consideration, and leave the avons well alone after Simmys reports.

Ta

jackherer

I drove a 205 with f1's for the first time the other day in the wet. Even though I'd heard from everyone on here how good they were I still could'nt quite believe it, the grip in the wet was like nothing I've ever experienced. The 205 had a GTI6 engine which I've never tried before either but I didnt care about that, I was only interested in cornering :)

C_W
I think this was mateys main reason for not recomending them, he was saying that in 20 mins on the oval track in Matchams Dorset he had melted that tyres so that they were raised higher on one side than the other.

I have never heard any 1 on here say a bad word against the f1s so ill give them a serrious consideration, and leave the avons well alone after Simmys reports.

Ta

On an oval with constant cornering you will wear out a high performance road tyre quickly. In that situation a Nankang would stand it a lot better. All high performance roads tyres tend to be soft compounds so using them (particualrly when new) on a track isn't that great as they overheat.

Sign in to follow this