• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sorrentoaddict

Front Shocks Top Mounts

sorrentoaddict

Hi all,

I was wondering whether to get new top shock abs. mounts for my recently bought

1.9. The car has 180,000 kms on it, and is in really good condition (the mounts are OK).

Should I replace them preventively, or there is no damage if they fail?

I undrline that the roads are a little bumpier than normal over here..

Btw., having in mind that I ordered a strut brace, is it advisable to buy also the Gr. N top mounts? (for fast-road use and general driving around). Or is it a not necessary cash outlay?

Cheers & Thanks

Alan_M

Get the Grp N top mounts without a doubt. They are only £5 each from rallycar.com and are a worthwhile upgrade IMO.

Dino

What effect do the GrpN mounts have on ride?

Ahl

The £5 grp N mount is only the rubber 'bearing'.

This is a worthwhile upgrade as it only costs a little more than standard rubbers - make sure you order these from peugeot sport direct and not rallycar.com (who will charge you £15 delivery).

The grp N mounts will give a slightly more precise feel over the steering, but at the expense of ride quality.

Mind you, me & a few others have them, and don't find them any less comfortable at all, even thought they are quite a lot harder than the standard item.

Imho, you don't need to replace anything else in the top mount unless its worn - but then im a cheapskate. :)

gerlewislewis

hi guys, can top mounts be replaced from under the bonnet, or does the whole shock need removing? :S (all you suspension gurus please see my wandering steering thread! :))

Ger

Ahl

You need to remove the shock and take the spring off, yeah.

Guest ollysmith

remove the shock!??

jack it all up, stick it on axle stands, wheel off, spring compressors on, disconnect the arb drop link, support the wishbone on a jack, undo the nyloc at the top of the strut and drop it all down on the jack - plenty of room to replace the bit of rubber :)

Bally

Actuall I always change mines without removing anything.

Keep the weight on the wheels. Remove the top shock nut and remove the small saucer on there.Replace the washer and the nut. Jack the car up slowly and the shock will come down from the top mount. When it has come down enough slide your hand up there, remove the old one and replace the new one. JAck back down and take off the nut and replace the washer and saucer. Tighten back the nut.

Job done, 5 mins per side.

Oh, the cars were all lowered, never tried it on a standard height car before, but if you take the weight off the opposite wheel it should allow the wheel to go far enough down to remove the rubber top mount.

Hope this helps

Theo205

excuse me for being disoriented on suspension stuff but...is this the rubber u are talking about?

mountr.jpg

hd_andy

Yeh thats the puppy!!

Ahl
remove the shock!??

jack it all up, stick it on axle stands, wheel off, spring compressors on, disconnect the arb drop link, support the wishbone on a jack, undo the nyloc at the top of the strut and drop it all down on the jack - plenty of room to replace the bit of rubber :)

I stand corrected.

I make sure you use spring compressors. I don't think you'd get away without them unless you've got much shorter springs, like ballys.

Sign in to follow this