• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Veero

Clear Indicator Lenses

Veero

Hey there

Im planning on replacing all the indicators with ones with clear lenses and was wondering about a few things.

Ive found some front ones cheap off ebay and they are on their way. What about the side repeaters? I cant find them anywhere. :rolleyes:

Finally the rear clusters... Do i have to replace the whole unit or can the indicators come off seperatley? Ive got an F reg so i guess its a Phase 1 unit.

Also according to my insurance i can change these from manufacturer spec without increasing my premium. Howver if I change my 1.6 alloys to 1.9s they wont let me do it :blink: (you may have seen my other thread relating to this in non-tech car chat)

Veero

ellisg

Rear clusters are whole unit you also need the wiring loom from a phase 2. There are guides on main site on how to wire them up. Also the reversing light is moved to the valance, its upto you if you want to wire it up, its not a legal requirement.

Keep the side repeaters original, never seen any good clear ones.

Front indicators, when doing take off the grill, its easier to get the headlights out. Easy swap.

If you can't get find any rear lights, I have some in my garage with wiring loom, I never got around to putting on the car.

PS. Your insurance company sucks

Gary

Guest kings205gti

Well i have declared my alloys on my car but not the induction kit, dtms, and gutmann grille which are all non standard but they dont inprove performance the induction kit doesnt really. plus if i have i accident they are all easy to swap back accept wheels.

Veero

Yeah even Haynes manual is useful for the front indicators. Looks like a 15 minute job tops :rolleyes:

Leet205---> Those oval side repeaters look horrible on that sight, shame they dont have pics of the standard ones. I could always get the standard ones and sell them on if i dont like em i guess, since theyre a 2 second swap over job.

And the rear ones... How difficult is it to re wire the rear reversing light to the valance? Currently I have 2 fog lights in the valance but only one comes on with the fog light switch. Id have to get a clear lens for the reverse light then.

Are there no rear clusters with clear lenses that have the reversing lights embedded in them??

Veero

Edd-XS

If you get the clear real lights from ecosse(about £30 i think) they are the old phase one style but completely clear, so you dont need to cut any wires or move the reverse light. The phase two lights probably do look better, but the clear ones arent too bad. thinking of getting some myself! ed

richt

Got my clear std side repraters from halfrauds quite nice apart from the fill up with condensation

205-306.jpg

Veero

They look really good on there.

Got any pics of the back end? Presumably you've got Phase 2 rear light clusters?

So would any old Halfrauds have thsoe in stock or did u have to order them in? Costs??

Cheers

Veero

Veero

Woohoo the front clear lenses arrived today.

So i thought cant be rocket science to fit em...

Unclipped all the bulbs from the headlight, removed the headlight, undid the bolts holding the indicator unit in, slid the unit out swapped over the lense and AAAARGH! :)

The old bulb holders that connect the bulb to the supply dont clip into the keyed slot on the new indicators.

Im guessing the indicators on there are original phase 1's. Are these new clear ones likely to be phase 2 or equivalent??

How much would a pair of bulb holders be for the front indicators be??

Any help or if someone has some spares for sale that would be great...

Veero

pug_ham

The bulb holders for the phase 1 orange indicators fitted straight into the phase2 clear indicators that I bought, afaik there isn't any difference at all right through the life of the 205. You might have ben sold the wrong indicators IMO.

Graham.:angry:

Gary
Currently I have 2 fog lights in the valance but only one comes on with the fog light switch

You have 1 fog light because the other is a reflector :angry: .

With regards to the different fitting bulb holders,some after market clear indicators are a different fitment,so you may find it difficult to find some that fit,you could always bond them in with something as it's very rare for a bulb to blow.

richt
They look really good on there.

Got any pics of the back end? Presumably you've got Phase 2 rear light clusters?

So would any old Halfrauds have thsoe in stock or did u have to order them in? Costs??

Cheers

Veero

I have phase 2 clusters as the car is 1992, tho only back end pics has the old repeaters on to

DSCF0021.jpg

They had them in stock at the Ripspeed bit when i got them.

Dream Weaver

Rich - you got any close up shots of those side repeaters? Been trying to get some square ones for ages but cant find any, even in Halfrauds.

PS Veero, if you have a Motormania near to you, they have loads of clear side repeaters much cheaper than Halfords.

richt

They look identical to the std ones but clear, you need to use the rubbers of the std orange ones. Will gets some pics close up.

Dream Weaver

Cool, how much were they?

pugtorque, just seen your sig - do you live in Skipton? I'm over in Barrowford.

richt

18 quid i think :angry:

Veero

Hmm 18 squid aint too bad. Itll look much better when its done. Ill try and find my local Motor Mania or Ripspeed then.

Gary---> When i was faffing around with them last night I had thought of bodging them in somehow but my sole illumination was a Maglight and I had an exam this afternoon :angry: . Maybe bonding some sort of clip to the indicator lens body then using a rubber ring or a cable tie to hold it in place but so it is removable should it blow.

Also how much would I be looking at for a set of rear clusters with clear lenses? Do I have to rewire the revereing light to the valance or is there a version with the reverse light in the cluster as well as clear lenses?

Alastairh

yeh i got them clear sides from autofive at trax 2002. i have since sold my car with them on.

Veero

Ok front lenses sorted now. I was just being a wuss and not wanting to break anything but by twisting the bu;b holders just a fraction harder they clipped in perfectly.

So now the front's done onto the sides. Fronts look soooo much better than the standard ambers, pics up as soon as i get a nice day to get a few snaps...

AutoFive likely to still do the side repeaters?

richt

They do yes.

Veero

Wahey clear side repeaters on their way.

Until then here's some pics of my baby now. Only thing woring with the bodywork is its had a small knock on the offside end of the bumper and its bent sommat. Need to get it all off and raise it up an inch on the far right end :D

205_002.jpg

Veero :D

Edited by Veero

j_turnell

Heres my F reg XS with late model lights looks much better ( very old pic).

11839my_car_bak_after-med.jpg

Veero

Yeah does look good. only thing that puts me off is the rear clusters are about £70 ish new plus you gotta rewire the reverse lamp to the valance and stuff.

Does anyone make smoked/clear old style clusters?

Veero

Bah completely forgot about them on Ebay B)

Put in a bid then didnt remember until about 1/2 hour after theyd finished .

Doh doh doh.

Sign in to follow this