• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jimbo

Fitting Phase 2 Rear Lights

jimbo

Hi,

Just fitting my phase 2 rear lights. ON the passenger side, there is a loom with 2 wires comming off it - wires are Red and Green. The wires seem to go accross the car, anyone know what they are for,

Cheers,

James

Simes

Whereabouts? Mid or end of the car. What are the nos. on the wire?

jimbo

Thanks for that link RichF but I have already done a search. That website is hard to understand, well I cant get to grips with it.

One wire is RED, the other is Green. They come into the passenger rear cluster from the drivers side.

johnnyt

Either fog or reverse, cant remember which!!!

RichF

Pretty sure it's going to be for the foglight, - are they coming from the brown plug on the back of the cluster ?

Get a multimeter and set it for continuity testing reach under the rear valance and unplug the foglight, now test for continuity ;)

If they are for the foglight then you'll find that they exit from the bodywork of the car behind the bumper, from the hole that the guide mentions :

Now you can allmost dream about the hole in the middle of your car, just under the bumper
:D

jimbo

How does everyone pull the wires for the rear lights through from the passenger side to the drivers side.

How do you get the wires down to the fog/reverse/number plate lights,

Cheers,

James

RichF

Are you replacing the existing part of the loom that goes across the car ?

If so then you can tape the replacement wires to the old loom then pull the whole lot across to the passenger side.

Otherwise get a metal coathanger, straighten it out, tape the wire to it and pull through ;)

EDIT: I took the bumper off to get at that hole, it's much easier but buy some spare bumper mounting bolts before you do the job as you will shear the old ones off ! :D

Edited by RichF

Simes

I think those wires are for the rear window washer pump.

To pull the wires through the 'body' I pulled the old ones out but attached string to them so I could use that to pull the new ones back in...ingenius!

RichF
I think those wires are for the rear window washer pump.

hmmmm.....

@ jimbo: You are talking about wires that currently plug into the back of your existing phase 1 cluster aren't you ?

Edited by RichF

Simes

If you post what the numbers are on the wires then we'll be able to tell you what they are...unless you have a Haynes manual by which you could check out the wiring diagrams. ;)

jimbo

Out of interest, nothing I am messing around with changing the rear lights would effect the fuel pump or anthing would it. I ask because the car wont start an all I ahve messed around with is the lights - see here http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/forum/index...showtopic=18569

Cheers,

James

PS will have a look for those numbers - but they were off the new loom (phase 2)

Simes

The wires to the fuel pump and sender are on that loom.

jimbo

Surely the fuel pump wires dont go as far back as the rear cluster though, unless they earth there. The fuel guage (sender) is still working.

JUst cant find the problem, and this is the only bit of wiring I have touched,

Cheers,

James

Simes

Are you doing this conversion by fitting the phase 2 loom?

If so lay it out on the floor and then plug it into the fuseboard and establish what does what first.

jimbo

No have done it by cutting and joining the loom by the rear passenger cluster. It all works, just seems a bit of a coincidence.

Simes

Sorry mate I thought you'd done it by swapping looms.....

pug_ham

Might be to late but if the loom has a plug on it it is for the fog light as originally fitted to the phase 1 car. I pulled the new loom through by fitting the new loom & a piece of string to the old black cloth & pulling it out of the drivers side & then pulling the number plate light loom back through using the piece of string.

Getting the loom down for the reversing light is fiddly, I used a straightened out coat hangar with string taped to it & then tied the string to the new loom for the reversing light & removed the rubber grommet & pulled it carefully back through until the plug was at the hole. Then I used a jewellers screw driver to turn the plug until I could get it through the hole before refitting the grommet & routing the loom down to the light.

Are you doing this following the topic in the archive?

Graham.;)

Sign in to follow this