• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Lee_GiT

Gti Brakes On An Xs?

Lee_GiT

right buying some 1.9 front brakes for my XS will these go straight on the hubs???

also i take it all the brake lines,and the servo would have to be changed to get major improvements???

thanks lee

j_turnell

All you will need is the calipers and disks, pretty sure you wont neeed anything else. You only need new lines and the servo if you use the rear beam as well i think.

doogz

Are you sure thats it's all 1.9 kit? When i upgraded my GT i used 1.9 discs and 1.6 calipers, it braked so much better, but did require a bit more pressure on the pedal.

Lee_GiT

hummm ok thanks guys, i'll give it a go ;)

perfecto pug

you need to use 1.6gti calipers and pads, with 1.9gti disks otherwise it wont work!!

other than that there are a few more options, i.e. 306 ATE calipers and disks 247mm, or 306hdi, xsi 266mm disks and calipers

all are a straight forward bolt on swap

Lee_GiT

is there a reson for that combo mate?

doogz

yeah, it's bolts straight on with no need for modifications or spacers ;)

Lee_GiT

ideal thanks a lot ;)

pug_ham

If you are just doing the front brakes then it's just as perfecto pug said, 1.9 discs & 1.6 GTi calipers but you might benefit from the GTi m/c as well but it isn't a must fit if you don't mind the longer pedal travel.

Might as well do a full fluid swap while you are doing them & then you are sure all the air is out of the system.

Check the bleed nipples are not sheared off & come undone on the calipers first though because they are often seized & / or sheared off due to the disimilar metal reaction between the steel bleed screw & alloy calipers.

Graham.;)

taylorspug
you need to use 1.6gti calipers and pads, with 1.9gti disks otherwise it wont work!!

yeah, it's bolts straight on with no need for modifications or spacers

Yes it will, got 1.9 callipers on my xs with 1.9 discs, went straight on, works fine, no spacers or anything. Roberts yours fathers brother. ;)

Sam

I always thought 1.9 were a straight swap too ?

doogz

really? so are the 1.9 hubs different where the caliper bolts on?

perfecto pug

the difference between the hubs is where the flange is (the bit with the bolt holes), this sticks out a certain amount on the base model hubs, a different amount on the 1.6gti hubs and again a different amount on the 1.9gti hubs

1.9gti calipers will bolt up to base model hubs but you will have to try and find a disc that fits, because the 1.9gti disks wont, too much hassle in my book.

if you can find a 205 turbo diesel, as standard it uses 1.6gti calipers, 1.9gti discs and base model hubs

so to evaluate

the complete 1.9gti setup wont bolt straight on base model hubs, so nor will gti-6 setup's

the complete 1.6gti setup wont bolt straight on either, unless you use the 1.6gti hubs (which will bolt on and still retain the xs/base driveshafts) which is a lot of work for no point. well only one good point, you get a slightly wider front track.

doogz

whilst you are there perfecto pug, did you ever solve your hot start problem?

(sorry should have pm'd this) :rolleyes:

Edited by doogz

taylorspug
1.9gti calipers will bolt up to base model hubs but you will have to try and find a disc that fits, because the 1.9gti disks wont, too much hassle in my book.

Look im telling you it all fits! Ive got an xs and its got 1.9 gti callipers and discs on it, no mods needed, no spacers. It all works fine.

James H

Did you take them from the 1.9 yourself?

j_turnell

I was pretty sure that the 1.9 disks and calipers were a straight swap tbh!?

Lee_GiT

:S lol now im confused...maybe i'll just give a go and then post up what happened lol

taylorspug

Yeah i took em from the 1.9 myself and fitted them. Lee they will go on no worries, currently i have ATE discs aswell, these fit quite a few different Pugs and Citroens along with the 1.9.

Guest Pugmasterful

XS's must have different hubs again. Vented discs wouldn't fit over my 1.1 hubs (1.9 or 1.6)

Guest Pugmasterful
the complete 1.6gti setup wont bolt straight on either, unless you use the 1.6gti hubs (which will bolt on and still retain the xs/base driveshafts) which is a lot of work for no point. well only one good point, you get a slightly wider front track.

Um, you'd have better brakes though wouldn't you...Duh :rolleyes:

Sam

This is weird....

306hdi setup fits straight on a 106, gti-6 fits straight on a 106, 306 hdi fits straight on a 205 base model, but your saying gti=6 doesn't ?

James H

Pugmasterful, I think Perfecto meant what's the point changing the hubs when you can use them with 1.6 calipers & 1.9 disks to get the same upgrade, saving the hassle of changing hubs.

If the 1.9 setup goes straight on XS hubs then GTi6 should as well, right?

I'm sure the XS hubs are the same as other base models, all the parts places list them as using the same calipers, discs & pads...

taylorspug

As far as i know all the models below the GTI have the same basic hub setup. After all, why would peugeot make loads of different types of hub, changing the tooling etc to do this? Bit expensive really!

Sign in to follow this