• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest metsta

Do All 1.9's Have Rear Discs?

Guest metsta

as it says in the post do all 1.9's have rear discs? urgent respons appreciated

ta just had my gti in the garage having some work done, & he goes nice gti is it a 1.6 i laugh & go no its a 1.9 he says no it isnt its a 1.6 cos its got drums at the rear? i check the log book & the aa hpi cert & it all says 1.9? any ideas, are there any other tell tell signs? its an 89 g reg

ta

Edited by metsta

pug_ham

Yes, unless it has had the engine fitted into a car that was originally a 1.6GTi.

Graham.:)

Guest metsta

but wouldnt the hpi check of shown that? are there any other signs as it deff has rear drums & i am certain its a 1.9?

hd_andy

I remember looking at a so called 1.9 with rear drums, there was a receipt in the history for an engine swap though!! Bit of a giveaway!

Simes
but wouldnt the hpi check of shown that? are there any other signs as it deff has rear drums & i am certain its a 1.9?

Cloth seats, manual windows.

I had a look at what was a 1905cc on the log book, they had put on 1.9 wheels and kept claiming it was a 1.9

It had drums, cloth seats manual windows and when I drove it it was a 1.6 :)

Edited by Simes

Guest metsta

agreed there are a few giveaways, but the one i have reently bought has half leather, 1.9 alloys & badges & leccy windows? any other more obvious ones? chasis or engine number maybe? are we at the moment saying that all 1.9's have rear discs?

Simes

All 1.9's have discs standard on the rear.

There is an engine code on the block somewhere that should tell you which one you have, sadly I'm not sure where this is located exactly.

hd_andy
are we at the moment saying that all 1.9's have rear discs?

Yep

Guest metsta

well thats just fcuking marvelous, just bought it as a 1.9 so paid more for it & then spent out 750 on repairs as the head gasket went would someone not have maybe replaced the rear discs for drums? i know it sounds stupid but is that possible as it may have been cheaper than replacing the discs & drum set up?

if not does anyone want to buy a lovely black 1.6 with £750 just spent on head, head gasket, timing belt, & a full & major service using very expensive parts? i'll post in the for sale too as i really want a 1.9

hd_andy

Is it a 1.9 engine, its unlikely that someone would swap the discs for drums

hd_andy

BTW the HPI wouldnt tell you if it was originally a 1.6 as you can tell the DVLA that you have put a 1.9 engine in.

Edited by hd_andy

Steve.C

if it is noted on the log book that its a 1905cc then the seller or whoever has informed the DVLC that the engine has been changed and if this wasnt noted on the HPi check and it is still a 1.6 then you can claim against the HPi company for false information

Guest metsta

does anyone know what engine nos apply to 1.9's then, i suppose that if it at least has a 1.9 engine & all the other bits other than the rear discs i can live with it, or are there any significant other differences,

by the waythanks for all the replies, very impressed with this board, i am from the scoobynet as i run a well modified impreza wrx too :-) & there is a lot of love for the 205's on there too

cheers guys

Edited by metsta

RichE

What colour are the injectors?

If they are green/blue its running 1.9 injectors. If they are yellow it has 1.6 injectors.

What code is on the ECU?

What gearbox do you have? you can tell roughly:

Get on a motorway, get upto 70mph in 5th. What RPM is it showing?

If its showing around 3750ish then its a 1.9 gearbox which would point toward it being a 1.9, if the RPM is any higher its pointing toward a 1.6 box.

What front brakes have you got? Bendix? If there bendix then those are 1.6 brakes.

Ever had the car to the rev limiter? if so what was it?

RichE

1.6 Engine code will be XU5JA

1.9 will be XU9JA

RichE
Yep

Didnt the 1905cc "Cheetah" Have drums and 1.6 14" wheels?

pug_ham
What colour are the injectors?

If they are green/blue its running 1.9 injectors. If they are yellow it has 1.6 injectors.

If its showing around 3750ish then its a 1.9 gearbox which would point toward it being a 1.9, if the RPM is any higher its pointing toward a 1.6 box.

Nope, Blue injectors are on the 1.6 & yellow on the 1.9.

1.6GTi is at 3750rpm at 70, 1.9 nearer 3500rpm AFAIK.

Codes that will be on the engine are on a small black plate nearthe righthand engine mounting, if they haven't been removed & for a 1.9 it should be D6B, if it is B6D then you have a 1.6 engine. If there are no plates then the other way of checking is if there is a spacer between the sump & block about 1/2' wide & it should have an oil cooler.

If none of these can be seen, the only other way to check the engine size is with a straw on the piston & crank the engine by hand & measure the distance the straw moves against a rule.

Graham.

Guest metsta

thanks, i will check a few of the bits out tommorow, where are the injectors are they easily checked by someone with minimal mechanical ability?

ta

Guest CB-Dave

Of course, it could be something as innocuous as the 1.9 beam has siezed and they've just sourced a 205 GTi beam (which has subsequently turned out to be off a 1.6) and fitted that...

pug_ham

The injectors are on the inlet manifold & easy to see, from the front of the car you can see the inlet manifold & the fuel pressure regulator with a metal tube off it, the injectors are under that, you should be able to see the wiring fo rthem, under the coil if you have the later spec engine with the coil on the inlet manifold.

pug_engine.jpg

Graham.:)

ellisg

Check the VIN code, it has the original engine code in it

1.6 starts VF320CB62

1.9 starts VF320CD62

Guest metsta

mine def starts with vf320cd62 as i checked laast night with a torch as i couldnt sleep i was sooo peeed of, i'll check the injectors & engine no when its dry & light out or wheel it onto the garage, so far i like the sounds of the rear beam being replaced with a 1.6 that sounds a reasonable answer, other than that the car pulls like a train & handles sweeeet, seems to be a lot more power than my old 1.6

hd_andy
Of course, it could be something as innocuous as the 1.9 beam has siezed and they've just sourced a 205 GTi beam (which has subsequently turned out to be off a 1.6) and fitted that...

Thats an interesting point but wouldnt that be too much effort, dont you have to replace the MC and the brake pipes etc. If not then that could be another way to tell, have a look at the MC to see if it has 4 outputs?

Rob_the_Sparky

Yeah, 1.6 drums have a single pipe to both rears, 1.9 discs have a seperate pipe to each brake and a seperate brake compensator for each.

Rob

daz205

as said before could it be the cheeta (spelling ) or skip brown conversion on an early model before peugeot made the 1.9`s?

Sign in to follow this