• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jeremy

What Would Be Bettr

jeremy

I have now bougth a Alpine 4 channel amp and will be buying another Alpine mono amp for a sub/s, but what will work out best as I am under the impression that 1x12' will move about the same amount of air as 2x10' assuming they are running similar power? What do people think I should do as the cost difference will only work out about £50.

d-9

Ive never run dual 10s, only single sealed ones, and ive always found them lack a bit in terms of volume compared to a signle ported 12". I dont know how a ported 10 or dual 10s would compare, the common theory is 10s are better for punchy stuff coz they can move fast, and 12s are better for low down zoom. Ive never had a problem running a 12 thou, and i listen to all sorts of music. (currently running a JBL comp 12 and an alpine mrd300)

daz205

1 x 12 will giver you lower deep base but 2 x 10 will give you crisper punchier bass depends on what music you listen to

Simes

A ported 1x 10" should be sufficient....running dual subs would be overkill.

Edited by Simes

jeremy
1 x 12 will giver you lower deep base but 2 x 10 will give you crisper punchier bass depends on what music you listen to

mainly trance, so which should I go for?

Robbie G

Depends what sub too. Some tens drop lower than some 12s, some 12s ar faster than some tens.

Im planning to run 2x10s in the future for louder but punchier bass, but a good 12 will keep the pace with trance no problems in the right box, and drop low when it has to. What's your budget for the sub(s)? One 12 costing the same as two tens would be a better option imo.

Edd-XS

my mate has one sealed 10" infinty kappa sub (the new 1600 watt max ones) and although it has to work slightly harder, it can and it sounds ace! hes getting his second one in too soon and aparentely it sounds amazing. so if u want a 10, its worth spending the extra cash, otherwise buy 12"s. ed

Theo205
A ported 1x 10" should be sufficient....running dual subs would be overkill.

Yep... thats my opinion 2

les3002

i ran two 10's in mine for a bit sounded ok but weighted the car down to much took them out in the end defo going to get 1 x 12 for my next pug

richard

In which case, you dont want loads of low down boom.

A single good 10" ported box should be able to provide what your looking for with good amplification.

If you can try to get a amp thats rated a little over the sub output, this stops the distortion and clipping of the coil at high volumes and stops you burning out the coil on the sub.

2 x 10" or 2 x 12" would be total overkill.....

This brings me back to the days when i used to put 15" subs into the boots of cars....but that was purely for spl and bass cd's

speedy indy

i wud go for 1x12"

tom_m

2x12s :) its the only way too bump :blink:

Sergy

I find 12" is a bit too much for trance, 10" would be better, as trance uses more punchy basslines, not flowing deep basslines from the likes of drum bass, hiphop.

Ive got 1 12" JL Audio 12W0 and its not amazing for trance, the bass cant keep up sometimes

richard
I find 12" is a bit too much for trance, 10" would be better, as trance uses more punchy basslines, not flowing deep basslines from the likes of drum bass, hiphop.

Ive got 1 12" JL Audio 12W0 and its not amazing for trance, the bass cant keep up sometimes

indeed, which is why i put what i put about having a good 10".

I listen to the same music type...and not a lot else and a 10" is the best i have found for this format. Especially in a car as small as a 205. Something like a vectra or laguna you'd think about a 12" and a couple of 8"s to get the kick, and frequency cut to get the 12 doing the really low stuff.

QUOTE (jeremy @ Jan 9 2004, 01:44 PM)

In which case, you dont want loads of low down boom.

A single good 10" ported box should be able to provide what your looking for with good amplification.

If you can try to get a amp thats rated a little over the sub output, this stops the distortion and clipping of the coil at high volumes and stops you burning out the coil on the sub.

2 x 10" or 2 x 12" would be total overkill.....

Edited by richard

johno_78

it doesn't seem a bad start if you dont have any ice at the moment.

However, i feel that a four channel amp would be more beneficial, as you could then amp your front speakers as well as a sub.

Also, i think the wiring kit should be using thicker power wires than 10 gague, as i used to use the same for about the same power and they got warm under heavy usage!!!

jeremy

I already have a 4 channel amp for fronts and rears, so only need it as a sub, and already have the wiring, it was just that I it seemed good value for money. Thanks Jeremy

richard

Get a decent set of speakers in the front...preferably components, but then you'll possibly have to cut the door card or do something a little special to keep it stealth.

Bridge the 2 rear channels (if your amp can do it) for the sub.

If you go components, try to mount them as far forward as you can if you leave the mid bass units in the original place. Be careful not to seperate them too far at the same time though or else your stereo image will become disjointed and you wont have any real focus. Also put a resistor in the front mid-bass speakers so that they dont have to worry about the low frequencys. This will mean less distortion at high volumes and also a cleaner sound all round.

Alternatively look at getting another amp to run the sub, ironically at the lower price range the 2 channels are better than a single monoblock type amp. You get more watts per £

One thing you must do though is make sure any positive power cables are fused as close to the battery as possible. This will potentially save your live and your car should there be a short circuit somewhere due to cable damage (ie through the bulkhead).

Edited by richard

Sign in to follow this