• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

jlarkin

Can anyone please identify these wiring connectors?

jlarkin

Just spent an amusing couple of hours replacing thermostat on my 1992 Gentry, in trying to resolve coolant temp problem.  Think  might have succeeded.  The one I removed was rusted to hell.  Seemingly not changed when Timing Belt, Water Pump, Coolant done by previous owner in 2022.  Also may have had wrong coolant as what's in there is a murky pink rusty mixture, not clear Bluecol;  so flush and replace is next on the list.

Having removed the big air hoses I discover two connectors wiring down left of Air Flow Meter:  one white not connected, and another yellow onto brown (think this may be low tension from distributor to ???).  also another white not connected up near right (passenger side) suspension turret.

Photos here

I still cannot fully fathom wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual, so any kind help much appreciated

P1080314.JPG

P1080316.JPG

P1080320.JPG

Leslie green

The orange looking on is indeed dissy flylead , the one at the passenger strut might be the level sensor for expansion bottle but not sure been a while since I looked .

jlarkin

Leslie

Thanks for reply.

You may well be right.  My Gentry has the black rectangular expansion tank similar to the diesels.  This has sensor wired into the bottom; so the connector up by the suspension turret may have been for an earlier fit with a plastic bottle type.  I shall just leave it rather than trying to trace it back to remove.

Dizzy fly lead I understand.  Just leaves third wire popped up near hose before AFM and near throttle cable.

Thanks

JL

jlarkin

i'm now wondering if the lead I am talking about could be for the SAD.  I presume this is supposed to be connected to the ECU.

Would anyone be able to advise on this, partivularly what is the effect of it not being connected?

Thanks

JL

welshpug

The SAD is simply on an ignition live, a very simple slow operating valve,   quite unlike a true idle valve that moves all the time.

Its a 2 pin black plug, JPT style with the infuriating wire clip, the blue coolant temperature in the side of the thermostat housing is very similar.

That white 2 pin near the expansion tank is a spare on most phase2 cars, i dont recall what it's for.

The 2 pin one near the intake may be for a charcoal canister purge valve.

jlarkin

Mei,

Good Day,

Thanks for response.

I'm a little confused. (not unusual).  On my Gentry the coolant temp sensor is below the distributor, not on the thermostat.

Had a look on miamistu parts site.  Might the one near the intake be TDC diagnostic socket No. 5918.75 like on this picture?

image.thumb.gif.1f6876922742cbb1f4f39d0881a58e97.gif

I wasn't aware that these cars have a charcoal canister; unless that is what I know as a fuel filter, tin can on the bulkhead driver side, near the brake fluid reservoir.

welshpug

thermostat housing is also below the distributor, the blue temperature sender is screwed into that.

the 3 pin diagnostic engine speed sensor is not in any of your images.

what you think of as a fuel filter is correct, the gentry I have worked on is a cat car, same as the 1.9 CTi, and has a canister under the nearside inner wing.

jlarkin

Thanks again Mei,

Cannot see any electrical connections at the charcoal canister/fuel filter.

My Gentry has a Cat in the exhaust.  Could this lead be  for this, which is currently not connected.

Otherwise will continue to be a mystery which will niggle until I solve it.

Regards

JL

welshpug

ah yes, it could well be for the lambda sensor