• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ScoobyJawa

Oil Leak

ScoobyJawa
Posted (edited)

Car is stuck in the garage at the mo, been there since Nov, will be coming back out in a couple of weeks, but popped over to start her up and was greeted by some puddles on the floor! :(

coolant leak from what looks like the lower stainless pipe I had fitted, probably just need to tighten up the jubilee clips.

however there’s a few little puddles of oil I couldn’t see where it was coming from, looks to be from a location above the back of the sump. The cable hanging down just behind the sump is very wet, with noticeable drips on it. The oil level is still full so it’s not a big leak.  Any thoughts on where I might look once I can get under it in a few weeks…?

IMG_6786.jpeg

IMG_6789.jpeg

IMG_6777.jpeg

Edited by ScoobyJawa

Leslie green

I'd guess rocker cover as the engine is canted over it tends to leak out the back although it would only be leaking when the engine runs. 

PhilNW

Possiblly sump gasket, check if any oil above the sump/block joint.

• Like 1

ScoobyJawa

Thanks chaps, I’ll have a closer look. It’s been in the garage about 6 months and only run once a month up to temp to keep things moving, so mostly it’s dribbled out while just sat there.

ScoobyJawa
Posted (edited)

Had a look and I am leaning to the sump gasket needing doing, however the shiny stuff goes all the way up the back of the drivers/gearbox side of the engine and can be seen under the HT Lead organiser. A little investigation today showed what looks like oil droplets on the SAD, possibly coming from the dizzy mount?  Any thoughts?

IMG_7065.jpeg

IMG_7068.jpeg

Edited by ScoobyJawa

Leslie green

There is a dissy o ring I see listed on ebay as the dissy goes in the end of the cam and comes through the water thermostat block pictured there .

• Like 1

ScoobyJawa

Nice one Leslie, I reckon that must be what it is, ordered one from Miles, fingers crossed!

Tom Fenton

Often now it is the gasket between the thermostat housing and the end of the head these days, however the o ring is much easier so start with that first.

ScoobyJawa

Thanks Tom, that’s useful info, will keep that in mind if the o-ring doesn’t sort it.

cheers

neil

stewal

I had a leak from the distributer: the o ring is a good place to start but mine still leaked after the o ring was changed. I believe there is a 2nd seal inside which wears with play in the shaft: sorted with a refurb.

It's surprising how much oil gets chucked out of the distributer and because its high up it gets everywhere. 

ScoobyJawa

Well the o ring was defo an issue, there was certainly oil coming out from there and dripping all the way down the engine.

Hopefully that’s the only culprit, but will be keeping an eye out with the other suggestions mentioned above in mind.

IMG_7461.jpeg

IMG_7460.jpeg