• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gohn

Brake Vacuum Pump Refurb

Gohn

I've just had to replace my brake vacuum pump on my XUD

refurbed it a while back with the two membrane kits available and topped it up with oil

it has been slow leaking the oil from the body out the end of the shaft, just next to the body and the little pulley

as the shaft spins, the oil is flung out and creates an oil line on the bottom of the bonnet

I thought it was my cam seal at the flywheel end and changed that a while back to be sure

the vac pump ran dry of oil and started making a pretty awful noise 

I've checked over the old pump and both membranes look good and it still seems to be producing a vacuum

I think at the pulley end of the main shaft there will be a seal which has worn and is slow leaking

has anyone ever changed this ?

can I use a puller and extract the shaft and put a new seal in ? or will I just have to top up the oil more often ?

thanks all

IMG_1189.jpg

Gohn

the seal I'm guessing is leaking, is not shown as a part in the peug 1649482626_ScreenShot2024-04-29at8_49_17PM.thumb.png.0832e09010d9a1aa1bfdaf9e432b02e1.pngcatalog, so presumably its not replaceable

the other two refurb kits for the vac pump are shown as 2 and 8 which I've used 

SRDT

There is at least one guy that managed to change the seal :

https://www.planete-205.com/forum/pompe-a-vide-t40188.html

I don't know if this seal is the same across the years. The pump was a Pierburg at first but I can't tell if it was still the only manufacturer for the 205, I have seen pumps without Pierburg markings but maybe it was aftermarket and not OEM.

Gohn

cheers baptiste , 

there are some other aftermarket brands but as you say, all the OE ones I've seen are Pierburg

no measurements but mine looks identical to the one shown in the link 

seems like he heated/expanded the plate (the one the pulley bolts to) 

extracted it off the shaft and put a new seal on the shaft

can't tell what dimensions the seal is but hopefully it will have some markings to order a new one from... somewhere

SRDT

You don't really need heat to pull the plate but it's another story to press it back, it's probably best to put the pump in the freezer overnight so that you don't need as much heat.

Another solution could be to drill the pin on the side to extract the bearing assembly, not only can you properly press the plate but you can inspect/change the rod bearing.

Gohn

getting this plate off is the whole job, the rest should be simple

didn't want to drill the side pin and destroy everything by drifting into the body

my two arm puller isn't up to it

can't over heat it either

so hopefully a local mechanic has a decent Kukko puller

IMG_1194.jpg

SRDT

I wonder if you could get the pin out with a stud welder.

Gohn

boingo , its off ! 

using the four M6 screw holes in the plate 

a local place with a drill press + lathe made up a 20mm thick plate to match , has the four M6 screw holes plus a fine thread M14 centre hole

fixed the two plates together with four long 35mm M6 bolts and pulled the original plate off the pump shaft by winding in an M14 bolt thru the centre hole onto the shaft

seal is roughly ID 19mm, OD 37mm

IMG_1200.jpg

SRDT

Is there something written on it? It should be 19 x 37mm but it could also be 3/4" x 1-7/16" if Pierburg managed to find some imperial seals for cheap .

Gohn

markings on the seal are too tiny, couldn't get a decent photo to make them out but pretty sure its: 

19-27-6

CFW  D  45

BAU  1

extraction time, then down the shop for a 19ID x 27OD x 6mm seal

hope I haven't jumped the gun on the pump still creating a vacuum, will know soon enough

Gohn

another step forward, winkled out the seal

in daylight the above seal dimensions are clearer

seal1.jpg

seal2.jpg

Edited by Gohn