• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
damo

1.9 engine wont spark

damo

Hi,

I've just put in the1.9 8v engine back into my CTI as I need to sell it as I'm moving house and have no storage space for it.

The engines in and tried to start as in turns over. I pulled a HT lead and tried to earth a plug to see if theres spark and I get nothing. This led me to check the Dizzy, the rotor looks ok etc so I checked the cable from it and this looks good. (Yellow plug goes to a black 3 ping plug off the main loom)

I even tried another ignition amp and no luck. Theres fuel in the fuel rail as I put in a new fuel pump and the new pump I tested on the battery to check. It must be wiring or something, so I checked the earth on the gearbox and made sure the brown plugs we connected. Everything looks ok, I pulled a sparkplug out of the engine and its bone dry, no fuel small so for some reason the injectors just wont fire fuel into the engine.

Before I took the engine out everything was working although it was over 7 years ago. After some fresh advise as I'm out of ideas on what to look at check next.

Damo.

Leslie green

Should the yellow plug not go to another yellow plug that's the issue I had years ago  ,mine was plugged into the blue coolant temp sensor lol

Tom Fenton
9 hours ago, Leslie green said:

Should the yellow plug not go to another yellow plug that's the issue I had years ago  ,mine was plugged into the blue coolant temp sensor lol

No. The yellow plug from the distributor goes to a black female plug.

If the engine has been sat for a long time the injectors can stick shut. With a couple of lengths of wire from the battery to the injector when you power them, they should make an audible click. If they don't then you can try and encourage them to work by tapping them with a spanner or something when powered to try and get them to move.

• Like 1

damo
2 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

If the engine has been sat for a long time the injectors can stick shut. With a couple of lengths of wire from the battery to the injector when you power them, they should make an audible click. If they don't then you can try and encourage them to work by tapping them with a spanner or something when powered to try and get them to move.

Thanks, I assume it doesn't matter what way positive is on the two pins on the injectors?

damo

I also forgot to ask about the spark, I've ordered a new dizzy rotor arm but earthing a plug on the engine dose give off a spark also. 

Should I earth the ignition amp in someway? It's a 1991 205 so the amps by the cam covers.

Damo.

DamirGTI

Pull the main coil-to-dizzy cap HT lead and connect the spark plug on it , earth it and try cranking - is there a spark or not ?

A Tom says , injectors tend to stuck closed often on engines which where left standing for long period ...

If they're not stuck as hard , ask someone to crank the engine for you while you tap injectors with small hammer or similar during cranking .

If you know someone who has ultrasonic bath , take the injectors out and give them a buzz in the bath for 15 to 30min , that'll free them up for sure .

D

drj545
On 4/17/2024 at 7:29 AM, Tom Fenton said:

With my car I manage to unstick the (long dormant) injectors by connecting them to a battery at the same time spraying wd40 through them via an adapter made from a tire valve. I had the injector off the engine for this. Worked very well if a bit of a juggling act (tapping the wire on the battery terminal while spraying the wd40). 

damo

Hi, been trying a number of things this weekend. I still cannot get a apart from earthing a plug on the engine. I've tried the HT lead and the king lead to the coil.

The coil has 12v when ignition is on. I've swapped the rotor arm and still nothing. My dizzy fly lead looks bad so had it off and kind of repaired and checked the cabling. I think I may order a new one if I can find one.

What else stops it spark? It must be something to do with the ignition circuit but things look ok so is there a earth or something I'm missing around the ignition amp? 

Toddy

No fuel or spark suggests you need to check your crank position sensor is sending a signal to the ECU.

If you put an led in the injector wiring plug ( correct way round)  this will flash if it is receiving power.

welshpug
3 minutes ago, Toddy said:

No fuel or spark suggests you need to check your crank position sensor is sending a signal to the ECU.

If you put an led in the injector wiring plug ( correct way round)  this will flash if it is receiving power.

No crank sensor on a 205 that has a signal wire from the dizzy to the ignition amplifier.

You will not get fuel injector trigger if there is no spark.

Has to be an ignition amp or trigger wire issue if you have power to the coil, could also be the coil itself.