• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

adybatt

1.6 CTi starting Issues... but not the motor?

adybatt

Hi all, 1989 1.6 CTi with an intermittent starting issue. Sometimes is fires straight up with one click of the ignition, and it mean not even a hesitation. Other times i hear the click of a relay, an electrical hum (as long as i keep the key held at starting position) but nothing else.

I suspected the starter motor, as this was the only thing not replaced during engine rebuild. Recently replaced with a new valeo unit, but it's still happening. Garage seemed to think i may have been supplied a faulty unit... but i'm still wondering if theres something else going on. 

i'm attaching a video of the issue. once it starts doing this, i generally remove the key and have another go, at some point it behaves and fires right up.

Does anyone have any guidance on what else i can check?

Many thanks

PhilNW
Posted (edited)

Quite common problem, probabaly wire from ignition switch to solenoid is dodgy. put a new one in parallel and isolate old one

Edited by PhilNW

adybatt

Thanks for the quick response, Phil. So this is a new live from the ignition switch to the starter motor? Thanks

welshpug

Usually no need to replace it all the way back, only as far as the plugs next to the steering column under the dash