• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Mellers1

Painting bumper and side plastics

Mellers1

Hello All,

I’ve just acquired a 205 (sorry a Gentry - not a GTi!) it’s been its been in storage and its plastics are are very faded. I tried a black bumper restorer (a turtle wax product) but it hasn’t touched it. I thought thing to do is to remove everything and paint the plastics to really restore them. 

I’m guessing lots of people will of done this before. Can anyone recommend the best product/paint to use?

thank you James 

Gaz D

Wurth Dye is very good they do a black for phase 2 and a grey for phase 1. Use very sparingly though and use a few very light cots otherwise you’ll see brush strokes in the finish(although you use a sponge to apply it) next time I think I’ll try a bumper spray paint

Gohn

tried Gtechniq C4 which is very expensive and only lasted about 4months 

may be ok if you only sit your car in a garage but s*it otherwise

the wurth dye type stuff is great, we have a local equivalent here called Bowdens Mr Black

also Plasticare and AutoGlym are apparently good but haven't tried them 

Mellers1

Thank you both. Just ordered the Wurth. Is one 75ml tube enough for all the exterior plastics? Cheers for advice 

Gohn

get one and use carefully

it should do everything,  if not order another one and drive around with a patchy car for a week 

Leslie green

One 75mm bottle did all my kit and the back bumper and there should be enough left for the front bumper but I wasn't ready for it yet 

sp_en_ny

As above Wurth dye is very good, i recently moved to using Gyeon Trim and in my opinion is even better in terms if how long it lasts, a more natural finish and a lot nicer/easier to apply as well.

lagonda

Checked out Gyeon Trim, and the manufacturers claim a durability of 1 year. Given the cost, that isn't acceptable to me. I'm really looking for a permanent finish to apply, anyway.

I recall a few years ago there was discussion about various paints for the bumpers, but with no-one finishing the story by reporting how the finish survived over time. So, can anyone let me know of a paint they've used which has proved to be a really durable/permanent finish? Specifically I have a very faded and glass fbre repaired bumper to fit. These are anthracite, not black.

Also! Can anyone recommend likewise a paint for the badges, an imitation chrome paint? This is largely for the boot lid badges ... not sure if these were imitation chrome like the radiator badge, or just silver.

sp_en_ny

I used Gyeon trim on my 205, 3 years later still looks as good as the day I applied it. Wurth dye is also very good but for me Gyeon trim was a better deeper natural black then Wurth. Also Gyeon don't peel off in places like wurth if you use a pressure washer (from distance) to clean the car.

Gyeon also goes a long way, one bottle did all exterior and interior plastics and still have some left over.

lagonda

Well, would you believe it, the repairs (done by a friend) to my "new" front bumper didn't last ... all fell apart when I went to remove it!So followed other advice on this forum, and managed to buy a pretty good GTi bumper a reasonable drive from here ... and it doesn't need painting!