• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jk83

New "almost' owner. Miami Blue LE.

jk83

Hello. Just signed up so I hope this is the right section to introduce myself. I'm Nathan. I've been a detailer for 18 years. Had a few fun cars over the years.

The opportunity has come up to buy 1 of 2 1.9 GTI which have been in indoor storage for the last 10+ years. Both around 100k miles. Neither have much, if any history with them. There is a red one (half leather, red carpet) that is in better condition (no rust, straight panels, interior just needs a clean, polish and maybe some smart leather repairs).... but I've got a soft spot for the Miami Blue LE car (full grey leather with red stitch, black / dark grey carpet).

Both are getting fully checked over, serviced, cam belt, new tyres, new brake lines etc so it's a useable, running car as part of the deal in our workshop. 

This blue car needs a bit more work though, Front end has previously been badly painted and a lot of the paint is reacting, rear end looks ok. Drivers wing doesn't fit all that well, some of the grey trims are a bit miss shaped. The drivers seat is very worn and coming apart at the seams and the foam is very soft and lost its shape. At the moment without stripping it apart, the rest looks ok..

ALSO.. the blue car comes with another full leather interior which is in much better condition... BUT, its full black / black stitch. It also comes with a drivers wing in good condition (needs paint) and a full set of exterior grey trims.

I've got an idea of price in my head and have got something agreed in principal with the seller ... but would be interested to hear what others think before I finally pull the trigger. 

The bad points are the lack of history, higher mileage, and fixing the interior might be expensive (exterior im fine with and thats been my bread and butter for 18+ years anyway)

Running and fully cleaned up (interior repaired to OE spec and front end painted) I see it as a £15k car.

Thanks in advance and excited to become part of the community. Planning on having it on the road and running (but obviously not painted or interior repaired) in time for Aprils Sunday Scramble at Bicester

Gaz D

Welcome Nathan.

i think you should go with the Miami. It seems like you’ve got your heart set on it. The beauty when things need work is you can put it to a really high standard. Go with your heart and not your gut even if you know it’ll cost you a fortune

Leslie green

You can buy the seat foams and indeed full leather seat covers buy I'm not sure grey is available or not . Id buy the one you want knowing its going to cost a lot to put right or wait for a better Miami to come along but ifs a genuine limited edition car you may wait a while for another with only 300 1.9's made in miami and make sure it is an LE as the seats are easy swapped over !