• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ryan

Help ID this radiator...

Ryan

I bought this radiator 18 years ago, but it turned out not to fit my Mi16 due to being a few mm too thick, so I put it in the loft and forgot about it, and have since lost all the info on it.

It was NOS in the original box, so it's not a weird aftermarket rad. It's got brass end tanks and a capped-off filler neck that I've not seen on a GTI radiator before. There's also a large threaded boss on the top (which I blanked off with an old level sensor).

The only identifying marks are "Ordonez" (manufacturer?) on the top and "J8" on one of the end tanks.

425124877_Radiator(6)-Copy.thumb.jpg.940f5468bb4656802da9b30d62961d83.jpg1549815038_Radiator(9)-Copy.thumb.jpg.25c99c1a28e0a3b268fc99055dbddc89.jpg445423471_Radiator(4)-Copy.thumb.jpg.7944cf2d61f0cd8d936d69e0464d6548.jpg1864372083_Radiator(8)-Copy.thumb.jpg.0fe4608f7b8aaded6bf420a70a2a0c1c.jpg1829889123_Radiator(1)-Copy.thumb.jpg.0eca9d3d9d5128a00b6ce978c07fda56.jpg474836498_Radiator(5)-Copy.thumb.jpg.f6b9f186a9e3aeace18668e6d5b56d1f.jpg

petert

It certainly looks 205 GTi. Perhaps AC? Measure the height to confirm.

Gohn

that is the radiator used on the 205 Si, they're real good

all brass/copper,

coolant level sender top right,

expansion tank hose connection top right,

filler cap top left,

top hose connection top left and fan switch -the hole-below it

there'll be a drain plug bottom left rear with an M14 spanner hex head

I find the part catalog a bit difficult to decipher on radiators, but looks like some of the GTi's also got that rad, those with injection

rad.png

petert

Yep, definitely looks like GTi or Si with AC to me. Both mine and yours are 33 rows. The GTi has a cap fitted instead on the level sensor.

279047045_RadiatorGTi2.thumb.jpg.3bfe0ce3c846b368fad9af8deba49dfb.jpg

Radiator GTi 3.jpg

Edited by petert

Gohn

also should have said , the Si is 1580cc (1.6l) petrol monopoint injection

plenty of other models - mardi gras, automatic, etc had same engine so would be suitable for that rad

and its easy to overtighten the filler cap or drain plug,

I've had several where previous owners have just cranked them until badly bent or cracked

SRDT
10 hours ago, Gohn said:

I find the part catalog a bit difficult to decipher on radiators, but looks like some of the GTi's also got that rad, those with injection

rad.png

GE means Grand Export. Australia being a bit far away from france should be part of those "Grand Export" countries.

Ryan
13 hours ago, petert said:

Yep, definitely looks like GTi or Si with AC to me. Both mine and yours are 33 rows. The GTi has a cap fitted instead on the level sensor.

279047045_RadiatorGTi2.thumb.jpg.3bfe0ce3c846b368fad9af8deba49dfb.jpg

Measuring at this exact point I get 285mm tall and 41mm thick.

Your rad has an extra threaded boss on the side just above the bottom hose connection, which mine doesn't. Is this used for anything or blanked off?

Edited by Ryan

Ryan

Looking at the box again I noticed a tiny label hidden under two layers of brown tape with a part number just readable - 1301 D4. By the parts list Gohn posted that's an a/c rad, but then looking up the part number online brings up all kinds of aftermarket alternatives which can't decide if they're for 205s with a/c or all 205s EXCEPT those with a/c.

petert
6 hours ago, Ryan said:

Your rad has an extra threaded boss on the side just above the bottom hose connection, which mine doesn't. Is this used for anything or blanked off?

That's the only threaded boss, used for the fan switch. It came from an early Jetronic model. Regardless, you have a great radiator there and worth a small fortune now.

welshpug

phase1 cars had the fan switch above the bottom hose, later ones moved to below the top hose, all the aftermarket rads I've seen for the non ac gti/diesel have both ports and come with a blanking plug.

if its anything like the TD rads then they're around £300 now, IF you can find one.

petert
1 hour ago, welshpug said:

if its anything like the TD rads then they're around £300 now, IF you can find one.

Indeed that's the money I was thinking of. I had a quote to re-core the one it the photo. It was AUS$575 pre-covid.

Gohn
15 hours ago, Ryan said:

Looking at the box again I noticed a tiny label hidden under two layers of brown tape with a part number just readable - 1301 D4. By the parts list Gohn posted that's an a/c rad, but then looking up the part number online brings up all kinds of aftermarket alternatives which can't decide if they're for 205s with a/c or all 205s EXCEPT those with a/c.

205's with A/C

the 205 Si's all came with air con

Ryan

What's the core thickness of a normal GTI rad?