• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

greenclaws1975

Peugeot 205 XS ride height

greenclaws1975

Hi, Just a quick question - does anyone know the ride height of a TU engine 205 XS ?. Mine seems to sit high at the front.

The coil springs are 12mm diameter and have 5 turns. Measures 395mm wheel centre  to lip of wheel arch.

Rear measures 325mm

Does this seem right ?

jord294

Is that 325mm between shock bolt centres

greenclaws1975

That's 325mm centre of wheel to arch lip on the rear.   I'll check the shock distance between shock bolt centres soon as i can get it on a ramp. 

Noticed tonight the NSR wheel didn't move when I jacked that side up so suspect the trailing arm is seized. So maybe the rear is sitting too low and the front is at the correct ride height ?

jord294

Sounds like you better get axle refurbed and height set to original. I did an xs axle few months ago, so I know what std height should be when set properly 

Edited by jord294
Spelling mistake

greenclaws1975

I'm going to tackle that next...I guess plenty of heat and big hammer will be needed if it's all seized up :unsure:..hopefully that will bring the back end up a bit , cheers

pugdamo

If you're taking this job yourself there's a guide to a rear axle rebuild

If not there's a few members on here that offer a rebuild service.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Tom Fenton

Standard cars always did sit very high at the front as standard, that is just how Peugeot made them. 

• Thanks 1

greenclaws1975
On 1/23/2024 at 7:15 AM, pugdamo said:

If you're taking this job yourself there's a guide to a rear axle rebuild

If not there's a few members on here that offer a rebuild service.

Cheers

Thank you just what I needed. Axle removed today it went better than expected

20240204_142851.jpg

greenclaws1975
On 1/23/2024 at 7:44 AM, Tom Fenton said:

Standard cars always did sit very high at the front as standard, that is just how Peugeot made them. 

Thanks that makes sense. Hopefully it will sit better once I get the rear extension sorted 

greenclaws1975
On 1/21/2024 at 12:05 AM, jord294 said:

Sounds like you better get axle refurbed and height set to original. I did an xs axle few months ago, so I know what std height should be when set properly 

Wish I'd marked the splines on the torsion bars or measured the shock centres before I took the axle apart. Haynes has the shock centre measurement for the XY8 XS (335mm) but not for the TU. :(

welshpug

That'll  be a good start,  i doubt it's going to be too far off and its easy to adjust now you have had it apart.

• Like 1

greenclaws1975

The tube  was badly corroded and worn on the NS. Seems to be medium carbon steel so doesn't machine easily but got it down to 53mm. New tubes don't seem to be available?

20240218_155818.jpg

• Like 1

jord294
1 hour ago, greenclaws1975 said:

The tube  was badly corroded and worn on the NS. Seems to be medium carbon steel so doesn't machine easily but got it down to 53mm. New tubes don't seem to be available?

20240218_155818.jpg

You only needed to ask the question as I have fresh original base tubes available in black

greenclaws1975
17 hours ago, jord294 said:

You only needed to ask the question as I have fresh original base tubes available in black

Ooh I'd be very tempted to put a new tube on if they are OE.. mine is pretty rusty inside . How much are you looking for them ?

greenclaws1975

Hi,

Ive been building up my axle and hit a snag - Ive got a 3mm gap between the anti roll bar lever and the trailing arm . 

Haynes says it should be 1mm and checked with a feeler gauge.

I can get it smaller by adjusting the torsion bar setscrews - but that gives me too big a gap between the end of the tube and trailing arm.

Haynes says this should be 0.05mm but I cant see how your supposed to measure it as the seal is in the way ??

Is steel ring retaining ring on the seal supposed to be pushed down to the base of the shaft ?

Thanks in advance of any replies !

susp.jpg

welshpug

Firstly set the seal clearance by using a feeler gauge, push the arm in with the gauge in the gap then set it with the torsion bar stud.

Once this is done install the ARB, the left end should be the fixed side, so install from the left, use a bolt to keep the end plate fully seated on its splines.

Install the loose end plate on the right side ensuring there is no tension (i.e having to lift or pull down on the arm,   if you do the trailing arms are not set evenly and the vehicle will turn left or right easier than it will the other way!!)

Use a long setscrew a thick washer and a nut to draw the end plate on so the 1mm clearance total (0.5per side)

The seal carrier on the crossmember tube should have a 2mm gap under it, not fully seated, the top hat on the shaft should be fully seated against the trailing arm.

• Thanks 1

greenclaws1975
Posted (edited)

Thanks Welshpug . Think I understand now I should set a gap of 0.5mm between the lip of the rubber seal and torsion arm?

I set both sides with a dummy shock at 325mm....I had to push down on the right side very slightly it was 1/4 of a hole out?. Do you think this will cause problems?.  Both sides measure the same on shock centres with the arb disconnected..

Haynes mention index marks on the arb  levers but mine must have rusted off. Do I align the notch on the left hand arb with the centreline of the lever?

I knocked  the seal carrier flush..ill try to knock it back 2mm.. It seems like the seal is sticking out too far and the arb bar is too long...

Edited by greenclaws1975

jord294

If you're pushing down on arm to line up arb end plates, then either your ride height setting is not equal. Or most likely the arb levers aren't timed properly 

• Thanks 1

jord294

Also, the crossmember seals should be an interference fit, and like Mei says, a gap of 2mm if fitted properly. If they are slack, then get better quality

greenclaws1975
1 hour ago, jord294 said:

If you're pushing down on arm to line up arb end plates, then either your ride height setting is not equal. Or most likely the arb levers aren't timed properly 

Thanks Jord.  I rechecked the shock centres and it was 339mm on the left side so re-fitted the torsion bar to get it 336mm same as rhs.  I had to push down slightly on the arm to get the arb  lever bolt in but it's now only a couple of mm out. 

Do you think this will be close enough?20240401_110538.thumb.jpg.d098a83da90a7367108f2993cc4ce26c.jpg

greenclaws1975
1 hour ago, jord294 said:

Also, the crossmember seals should be an interference fit, and like Mei says, a gap of 2mm if fitted properly. If they are slack, then get better quality

Does this look right? The seals were a tight fit ..I think I just knocked them on too far. 

I presumed the sleeve would cover the rubber seal but it's left exposed. Seems odd that there is a gap between the seal and arm and no crush if its supposed to keep water out. 

But happy now the gap between the arb levers and end of the  tube seems okay

20240401_110554.jpg

greenclaws1975

20240401_112550.jpg

jord294

Looks good 

• Thanks 1