• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

greenclaws1975

Peugeot 205 XS ride height

greenclaws1975

Hi, Just a quick question - does anyone know the ride height of a TU engine 205 XS ?. Mine seems to sit high at the front.

The coil springs are 12mm diameter and have 5 turns. Measures 395mm wheel centre  to lip of wheel arch.

Rear measures 325mm

Does this seem right ?

jord294

Is that 325mm between shock bolt centres

greenclaws1975

That's 325mm centre of wheel to arch lip on the rear.   I'll check the shock distance between shock bolt centres soon as i can get it on a ramp. 

Noticed tonight the NSR wheel didn't move when I jacked that side up so suspect the trailing arm is seized. So maybe the rear is sitting too low and the front is at the correct ride height ?

jord294

Sounds like you better get axle refurbed and height set to original. I did an xs axle few months ago, so I know what std height should be when set properly 

Edited by jord294
Spelling mistake

greenclaws1975

I'm going to tackle that next...I guess plenty of heat and big hammer will be needed if it's all seized up :unsure:..hopefully that will bring the back end up a bit , cheers

pugdamo

If you're taking this job yourself there's a guide to a rear axle rebuild

If not there's a few members on here that offer a rebuild service.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Tom Fenton

Standard cars always did sit very high at the front as standard, that is just how Peugeot made them. 

• Thanks 1

greenclaws1975
On 1/23/2024 at 7:15 AM, pugdamo said:

If you're taking this job yourself there's a guide to a rear axle rebuild

If not there's a few members on here that offer a rebuild service.

Cheers

Thank you just what I needed. Axle removed today it went better than expected

20240204_142851.jpg

greenclaws1975
On 1/23/2024 at 7:44 AM, Tom Fenton said:

Standard cars always did sit very high at the front as standard, that is just how Peugeot made them. 

Thanks that makes sense. Hopefully it will sit better once I get the rear extension sorted 

greenclaws1975
On 1/21/2024 at 12:05 AM, jord294 said:

Sounds like you better get axle refurbed and height set to original. I did an xs axle few months ago, so I know what std height should be when set properly 

Wish I'd marked the splines on the torsion bars or measured the shock centres before I took the axle apart. Haynes has the shock centre measurement for the XY8 XS (335mm) but not for the TU. :(

welshpug

That'll  be a good start,  i doubt it's going to be too far off and its easy to adjust now you have had it apart.

• Like 1

greenclaws1975

The tube  was badly corroded and worn on the NS. Seems to be medium carbon steel so doesn't machine easily but got it down to 53mm. New tubes don't seem to be available?

20240218_155818.jpg

• Like 1

jord294
1 hour ago, greenclaws1975 said:

The tube  was badly corroded and worn on the NS. Seems to be medium carbon steel so doesn't machine easily but got it down to 53mm. New tubes don't seem to be available?

20240218_155818.jpg

You only needed to ask the question as I have fresh original base tubes available in black

• Like 1

greenclaws1975
17 hours ago, jord294 said:

You only needed to ask the question as I have fresh original base tubes available in black

Ooh I'd be very tempted to put a new tube on if they are OE.. mine is pretty rusty inside . How much are you looking for them ?