• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

brian j

Oil leak from the filter

brian j

I got some time in this today and can confirm the following:

the male threaded union WILL unscrew from the remote filter mount.  It is thread locked in heavily and it took removing it and using a fair amount of heat,  it it did unscrew cleanly. 

this means that a different thickness heat exchanger is easy to fit so long as it comes with its own threaded tube of the correct length. 

the ones Tom, and SRDT mentioned are both almost certainly fine, although slimmer. 

I have gone for the exchanger from a 206 GTI 180, which is about 5mm thicker than the 205 one and alloy rather than steel, but it’s a perfect fit for the coolant pipes, the filter mount and the filter. 

photos to follow, but I’m trying to get the second mounting TIG’d back on to my remote filter mount because it has been broken. I suspect the previous owner did an oil change and the same over tightening that did in the heat exchanger also broke the remote filter mounting lugs… 

pug_ham
On 2/9/2024 at 4:23 PM, brian j said:

I’m trying to get the second mounting TIG’d back on to my remote filter mount because it has been broken. I suspect the previous owner did an oil change and the same over tightening that did in the heat exchanger also broke the remote filter mounting lugs… 

This is a very common problem, I think out of the three of these set ups I've had, only one has both lugs intact.

g

brian j
On 2/12/2024 at 7:16 PM, pug_ham said:

This is a very common problem, I think out of the three of these set ups I've had, only one has both lugs intact.

g

This is my second, the first one was cracked when I bought the car. Pretty sure you sold me this one about 15 years ago, so it might be that one…

No one round here thinks the casting will TIG (wrong alloy, too oil soaked), and my experiments with those home alloy welding rods has established that their melting point is WAY too close to the melting point of the casting so I have resorted to a couple of washers and a copious dollop of JB weld. 
I have filed the mating faces of the bolt holes so they are aligned and it is not pretty, but it seems solid for now, so I’ll take that. 

brian j

I need some help. I have found a non return valve in the bottom of the container I used to catch the oil when I removed the heat exchanger. 
IMG_9372.thumb.jpeg.b949ef4c170912807b7353d78a8510e7.jpegIMG_9373.thumb.jpeg.a01e01f658b6b9b56804cd170f06d900.jpegIMG_9374.thumb.jpeg.43fc83efa957213ea7322d9e8c05f571.jpeg
it either fell out of the heat exchanger or the mounting casting, but I’m pretty sure it was out of the heat exchanger.

Should it sit in the feed or return line? (I assume return??)

Is the return the centre hole or the outside holes on the filter? (I think centre??)

if it fell out of the 205 heat exchanger, I will have to work out if it is needed in the replacement 206 one. 

brian j

I have gone back out to look at it again and I can reduce all of those questions to just one. How important is that non-return (bypass?) valve? 

it went here: 

IMG_9377.thumb.jpeg.f198b0a99384e98ef98ab5abb4fe0bc8.jpeg

And there is no provision for it in either the 206 gti 180 heat exchanger or in the mounting block for it, so it can’t be refitted. 

on the other hand, assuming I am ok without, I am really happy with this:

IMG_9375.thumb.jpeg.9bbd037274e5647996f53445f84bdb17.jpegIMG_9376.thumb.jpeg.f18cdbc9334ad3b4239850710aae78da.jpeg

it is 5mm deeper than the original but it fits perfectly and I don’t think anyone would ever spot it is not original. 

Edited by brian j
  • Like 1

Favaloro

Remove the water/oil exchanger temporarily, to help isolate the problem. ie just screw the filter direct to the remote housing.