• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jamesgti6

88mm turbo diesel forged crank identification

Jamesgti6

Good afternoon, I am having an engine rebuilt that is going to need oversized pistons so have decided to see if I can find the bits to go to 2.1L.

can anyone help me with identifying the forged crank? I can’t seem to find a definitive answer on the forums.

the first with 4 weights looks to be forged even though the seller says it’s from a N/A 406.

And the second with 8 weights looks cast to me.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0534.jpeg

IMG_0535.jpeg

welshpug

Needs to be a turbo diesel crank,  I've never compared them side to side but I have read that the parting line of the casting is wider on the forged turbo crank.

The DW10 uses the same part number crank.

• Like 1

petert

Forged cranks only have four counterweights and the wide parting line. There are a few variations however, thus don’t all look identical.

• Like 1

SRDT

To tell whether a part is made out of forged steel or cast iron the size of the flash lines is a dead giveaway.

Forging flash is wide, there is plenty of extra material that needs to be removed by shearing. Casting flash is thin, only a bit of molten metal can found its way between parts of the mold.

There should be no stock 88mm stroke, 8 conterweights, forged crank. Those with 4 conterweights have Ø50mm 24mm wide crank pins with or without rolled fillets.

This last part is important because cranks without rolled fillets needs wider thrust washers :

HF05A77A.TIF

• Like 1

Jamesgti6

Thanks everyone, looks to be the correct crank even though the guy says it came from an n/a, always thought all 406’s were td.

Jamesgti6
21 hours ago, SRDT said:

To tell whether a part is made out of forged steel or cast iron the size of the flash lines is a dead giveaway.

Forging flash is wide, there is plenty of extra material that needs to be removed by shearing. Casting flash is thin, only a bit of molten metal can found its way between parts of the mold.

There should be no stock 88mm stroke, 8 conterweights, forged crank. Those with 4 conterweights have Ø50mm 24mm wide crank pins with or without rolled fillets.

This last part is important because cranks without rolled fillets needs wider thrust washers :

HF05A77A.TIF

Thanks, I wonder if the rods could be ordered wider to use standard thrust washers?

petert

Std rods fit the 88mm turbo diesel cranks. T16 86mm and 92mm diesel are 24mm wide.

Edited by petert

welshpug
15 hours ago, Jamesgti6 said:

Thanks, I wonder if the rods could be ordered wider to use standard thrust washers?

Thrust washer is on the main bearing not big end.

• Like 1

SRDT
On 12/17/2023 at 3:10 AM, petert said:

Std rods fit the 88mm turbo diesel cranks. T16 86mm and 92mm diesel are 24mm wide.

24mm is standard, "wide" 26mm rods are only used on 2.1 diesel, T16 and N/A 2.0 8v up to 01/1993.

petert

I was actually thinking of the shell width, which is either 20 or 22 wide. I was incorrect either way.

I acquired an XU10J2TE thinking it would have a forged crank. I was disappointed to find cast iron. They're 0501G1 like the rest.

Edited by petert

SRDT

The XU10J2 has some of the good bits but not all, same thing with the XUD9SD : it's a 75hp 1.9 diesel turbo with mostly N/A bits inside.