• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

James1975

Strange leak

James1975

I noticed coolant underneath the engine, upon investigation i noticed the coolant seeping out of the bottom of 2 of the head bolt studs at the back of the block, i recently had the head done and done all the usual torque settings and brand new head gasket.

Is this a case of going round again and re-torqing the bolts?

its not a lot but over time it will be.

Edited by James1975

pugdamo

As you look at the engine does the rear left head bolt have 2 spacers on it? Should be one washer like all the other head bolts and a bigger one underneath it.

James1975

yes it has the spacer on the top left of the head with washer, thats not the one leaking, if it didn't, it would punch through to the water pump.

jord294

Got exactly same situation with customers car. Sadly though, some inexperienced person has wound head bolt down without spacers, and cracked block. Then tried to fix it with metal putty

James1975

i can see the bottom of the threads, they are seeping from 2 of them, the threads are exposed.

welshpug

Sounds like the block has cracked, have had this twice on the same engine.

barneys66

My block had a weep so it got a bottle of Radweld - that was 2017 and it's been abused a lot since and not a drop..

36655313150_67df3a428d_h.jpg[/url]

Leslie green

Will likely be a crack as said , not that easy spotted ,mine was down the back on the block you need the car up on ramps to see it and will leak a lot more when warm .

James1975

because its recently had a new head and stretch bolts i thought i would go back and check the bolts and sure enough they needed to go a bit more to get to the original torque settings

The leaks through the bolts have now stopped, must of been getting past the head gasket which is also new.

will keep an eye on it, ran it up to temp and fan came on and still no leaks.

Fingers crossed