• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

jlarkin

Bosch Distributor replacement/repair

jlarkin

I need some advice about the Bosch Distributor on the 1992 1.9 Gentry automatic I am gently restoring.

I now find oil inside, and understand that it could need replace or refurbish, as simply replacing the O-ring at base of the shaft is not a cure.

The serial number on the unit is  0237009051. Having difficulty finding availability of this on the internet with sellers or breakers. Looking this number up on parts listing sites minimitsu (?) and stuartmcguire shows units with serial ending in 051 and also 074 and 086 plus Ducellier2525678B for the XU9J1 engine.

Does anyone know if these are truly all suitable replacements, and where I might get one.

Does Bosch still offer an exchange service (years since I did this) and if so from where?

Hope to hear.

Regards

John Larkin

stewal

I doubt you will find a new replacement distributor for the 105bhp 1.9, I  tried.

Get H and H ignition solutions in Birmingham to recon your existing one: they replace the seals too.

I had no vacuum advance connected either: the throttle body vacuum take off went to an emissions cannister in the inner wing  (Japanese spec). Redirecting this to the distributor after reconditioning made the car run much better with better mpg too.

petert
4 hours ago, stewal said:

......... much better with better mpg too.

That's the purpose of the vacuum advance module. It pulls on 6-9º of additional advance under high vacuum, low load situations. Race cars never used them as they're always at wide open throttle.

jlarkin

Stephen and Peter

Thank you for the good advice.

I have emailed H & H and wait to hear.

Regards

JL

jlarkin

Good Morning

Still  looking for replacement distributor for my car, before removing existing unit which has some oil inside.

Have come across one unit for sale which the seller says has come from a 1.9 Gti.

This is marked 25256 4 0 C  and CO 23 DC 18.

Believe this to be a Ducellier.

Anyone know if this would work on my car which currently has a Bosch 0237009051 dizzy marked C)31 DO22.

Thanks in advance for any help.

JL

X-mo

Good morning,
a friend in the german forum just received (took some considerable time) a distributor from https://www.123ignition.de

It's not P&P but you can tune the ignition with it and it looks really we made. Perhapse a good alternative for the old Jetronic stuff.

jlarkin

Axel

Good morning.

Thank you for the link  https://www.123ignition.de/

Have never come across this company before.  Tuneable distributor sounds fantastic.

Wonder if anyone on the forum has tried this.

Unfortunately there does not seem to be a version available for my Peugeot 205.

Regards

JL

SRDT

I don't know if they improved lately but at the price they where selling it it should have been plug and play and look more like the real deal.

There is at least one arduino based diy alternative and obviously it's much cheaper. It uses a VW Hall distributor and ignition module:

http://loutrel.org/aeduino.php Near the end a white 205 GTI with carbs, Jetronic injection is driven from the coil so it works the same.

As for the markings C031 D022 are the correct curves for a XU9J1, it looks like C023 D018 are for a XU5JA.

ob_ece841_c031d022.png

stewal

A standard 1.9gti distributer will fit and probably run but its advance curve will be very different to the DFZ engine you have so it will be far from ideal and would probably need the static timing messed with to get it to run without being gutless or pinking.

jlarkin

Baptiste and Stephen

Thank you both for your replies.

Clearly there is a world out there that speaks electronics, that I have missed all my life.

The excellent article might as well be written in Martian.  I cannot attempt to understand any of it.

I'll just have to continue to search.

Regards

John Larkin