• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Spesh

Downshift issues

Spesh

Cannot downshift without blipping the throttle, upshift is absolutely perfect with no issue.

Seems to get worse the more engine braking there is.

This has been present since I last had the car apart for new engine where a new helix organic clutch kit was fitted and the gearbox stripped down to change a synchro (can't remember which I changed but it was only one of them). I also fitted a satchshift too.

Any pointers on what it could be? Clutch seems to be correctly adjusted.

It's extremely difficult to disengage gears on overrun but changes up easily.

welshpug

What gear oil are you using?

Check the satchshift isnt binding on anything, could be movement under load making things hit exhaust or bodywork.

Have had a gti6 engine wear out a 3rd gear synchro when a gear rod was resting against the downpipe and would pop out under load!

Spesh

Millers CRX LS 75W90, the one that 3J reccomend for the diff.  Used it before it made the changes without issue.

Satchshift is good, been through it with a fine toothcomb and its all free and working as it should as far as I can see.  The engine is on stews group n mounts so movement is very minimal

I've got to pull the box apart again as the fill level hole has a hairline crack in it so i need to change the casing.  Its such a frustrating issue made worse by a few changes at the same time making it hard to pin down.

welshpug

I'd try 75w80, as thats what peugeot specify.

Spesh

I could, but it work previously perfectly with that oil which is what is absolutely puzzling

PhilNW

Have you tried it while up on jacks? i.e with little load on the transmission other than  the wheels spinning.

Is the clutch actually disengaging?  

Spesh

with little load it changes fine both ways, also changes up under any style of driving without issue.

I'm not 100% on the clutch actually disengaging but I believe it is given how easy (and quick) upshifts are and the fact it goes into any gear whilst stationary without issue.  I did try tightening the clutch just in case but this just resulted in slip without any improvement on downshift.

PhilNW

By tightening the clutch what do you mean? 

I was thinking adjusting the clutch to give more pedal travel to open the clutch more in case it is warped or similar.

Spesh

As in remove all slack from the cable so it's 'tight' giving maximum travel.

I'd hope nothing is warped, brand new helix competition organic clutch and ttv flywheel 

PhilNW

Have you set the clutch as per the manual, which makes it level with the brake pedal.?

EDIT - This should give the normal amount of travel to release the clutch

Need to slacken off the clutch cable to let the clutch pedal sit higher then the brake pedal and give more more movement on the pedal/clutch operating lever and more clearance for the clutch driven plate to spin.  

Edited by PhilNW

Tom Fenton

It sounds to me like the clutch is dragging and not disengaging properly. Seeing as it only started when you replaced the clutch it could be that something isn’t right with it.

Spesh

Clutch was adjusted as per the manual yep.

Thing is it wasn't just the clutch changed.  The box was split and had new bearings/seals, satchshift and clutch but I agree the clutch is the most likely.  Just not sure what is causing it to drag.

Spesh

Pulled the box today, everything looked ok aside from the release bearing fit on the fork was a bit pants.  I'll get a vid tomorrow and post it but it seems like the release bearing isn't holding straight, its rotating slightly but is still perpendicular to the cluch fingers.

edit 

This is the clutch I fitted

https://www.peugeot-tuning-parts.co.uk/peugeot-405-mi16-1.9-helix-organic-clutch-kit  

Edited by Spesh
add details

welshpug

check the clutch fork matches the bushes you have fitted.

Spesh

Yup, correct ones in there and they were not changed as part of this work.

Had the end casing off the box and all looks well internally, ignore previous comment about the release bearing being rubbish on the fork, found my old one and its the same.

Only thing I've noted is that the old release bearing (valeo) is a smidge taller than the new one (Helix)

53386578888_38d9656b2f_k.jpgPXL_20231209_184708455 by Mark Needs, on Flickr

welshpug

There Are two heights of release bearing,  20.5 and 18.5.

Dont recall when which was used, ma used the same ones too.

Edited by welshpug

Spesh

Ok so they both end up at the same height when fitted, just the helix one is a little less secure as it's clips that go on the fork are quite rubbish to be fair.

Clutch release arm had a J stamped on it so it's yellow bushes, again it's what was previously fitted.

Still not found the cause 

Spesh

does that look ok? Still can't find anything that could have caused it.  Only thing I really found wrong was a lack of end float, managed to get it to 0.06 so still a teeny bit tight but 0.02 is naff all in my mind.