• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Robbiedundy

De-tuning Xud pump (save the planet)

Robbiedundy

Hello all, recently bought an xrad van with a xud9te. Delight of a thing to drive. 

It's on a lucas pump which has been tuned and not so much too my liking. On full boost you can see clouds of black reek, small birds & insects falling from the sky with no fresh air to breathe. 

On cold start it doesn't idle straight away/sometimes cuts out unless you give it revs & there's a cloud of white smoke honking of fuel. 

Have replaced heater plugs, could it be down to the pump being over done & overfuelling? 

I've tried looking for guides on the lucas pump but can't seem to find anything, alot of forum threads are broken now.

Could anyone give me an idea where to start?

Here's the xrad in all of its glory 

IMG_20230712_202339_752.thumb.jpg.457045db561cea6024056227aa3be9e6.jpg

shes had some winter prep mods after this photo was taken - raised rear axle, swapped coilovers & gti6 front calipers swapped for some bilstein b4s and lighter 205 gti front calipers, sl434s swapped for some rallye steelies 

All that's left to do is sort out the reek

Thanks

Tom Fenton

You could try turning the pump down. Its been a long time like 15+ years so I can't remember the exact method, but I know on the Lucas pump its a lot more involved, you have to remove a big cover off the pump, drain it of diesel to get inside, then adjust something. The Bosch was just turn an adjuster externally.

• Like 1

welshpug

• Like 1

welshpug

tom pretty much nailed it, remove the plastic cover (might have been replaced by a  metal one)   on the front of the pump, rotate the engine till the small hole is visible and use a square ended 4mm allen key.

• Like 1

Robbiedundy

Thanks guys will have a look and let you know how I get on :)

welshpug

the white smoke I would check if the glow plug relay is working, and staying on long enough.

also does it chug into life or fire on all 4 cleanly?    it could be knackered leakoff pipes, of which I have only found the oem stuff to be any good, thankfully only £14 for a metre length,   all the aftermarket stuff is too big as its imperial 1/8" stuff wrongly sold as 3mm, tends to be overbraided, not the solid pvc rubber of the oem.

• Like 1

SRDT

Check if you really have all the volts you should at the glow plugs. If not it could be pitted/dirty contacts inside the relay or a corroded/damaged wiring loom.

The light on the dash is just a suggestion based on the relay internal temp sensor. If you don't start the car when it goes off the glow plugs will stay powered until you hear the relay click.

Starting the car right after the relay clicked or cycling the relay twice should negate most small problems on the glow plug side but won't help much if one of the plugs is dead.

Robbiedundy

The glow plug relay is good - can hear it click a few seconds after the light goes out.

It does splutter into life yes so I'll check the leak off pipes too, noted about the oe pipe

Power to glow plugs is good :)

Will get a look over it Friday, thanks guys.