• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
brian j

Cambelt re-tension after a heat cycle

brian j

Haynes recommends heat cycling the engine after fitting a cambelt and then re-tensioning it. it always feels like a faff for no gain. 
what are people’s opinions.  Is it really necessary? 

petert

Why not? It’s dead set easy if it’s a spring loaded type.

Tom Fenton

I’ve done loads of XU cambelts without issue, it’s never even occurred to me to do this.

brian j

Thx both. 

As to why, it’s a bit annoying to have to remove the pulley and aux belt again, and I hate the access to the rear tensioner bolt when there is a fuel filter fitted.

Tom Fenton

The rear tensioner bolt I’ve found the easiest way is a 16mm deep socket on a long extension bar and do it from the gearbox side. 

• Like 2

pug_ham

Same as Tom, done loads on both 8v & 16v but never had / thought to do this after a heat cycle.

Haynes only seems to mention it for the sprung tensioner too from a quick glance.

g

• Thanks 1

brian j

Thanks all. I did heat cycle and re-tension in the end. Tom’s shout for access is a great idea, and I found (as you all probably already knew) that even with the double pulley a/c setup, there is just enough room to re-tension and refit the covers without having to remove anything again.