• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

wld

Which aftermarket lifters to use?

wld

I'm in the process of restoring a 1.9 mi head. Unfortunately at least 8 lifters are no longer usable. What is the best make of lifters still available?

I got one Ajusa and one Kolbenschmidt,for quality assessment, but compared to the originals they have a much smaller diameter piston and oil hole.

IMG_20230909_130719270.jpg

welshpug

Is it wear to the top that makes them unusable?

The one on the left looks very much like an XU10J4RS lifter I had apart recently, i think oem ones are a different part number but may be compatible

• Like 1

SweetBadger

I would steer well clear of aftermarket lifters. The last set I tried jammed in the lifter bore while I was rotating the camshaft! Would have been carnage if I didn’t realise and started the engine.

• Like 1

petert

Find some oem and recondition as per the guide on my website. You can also use R and RS lifters. Stay well clear of aftermarket. Or, I could sell you some.

wld
17 hours ago, welshpug said:

Is it wear to the top that makes them unusable?

The one on the left looks very much like an XU10J4RS lifter I had apart recently, i think oem ones are a different part number but may be compatible

Yes, they are very badly worn on top, together with the intake camshaft. The oil bars were full of gunk. The lifter on the left is one of the bad ones and I doubt it was ever changed. The engine has been sitting in a dry barn for almost 20 years, and supposedly has less than 150000km, but I think it was never serviced properly. Imagine the shock when I saw this:

IMG_20230831_164217835_HDR.jpg

wld
17 hours ago, petert said:

Find some oem and recondition as per the guide on my website. You can also use R and RS lifters. Stay well clear of aftermarket. Or, I could sell you some.

Thanks for the offer! I'll try to source some locally first, as the shipping cost may be more than the price of the lifters. Do you still offer the camshaft grinds? 

Tideee
18 hours ago, petert said:

.......can we have the link to your website please Peter ;)

:D