• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Duzza

Missing dimmer, infinite fuel

Duzza

I have finally got my 1.9 GTi back on the road after some track day related issues. However, something that has never been right since I have owned it is what has been done to the dash wiring.

I have no dash illumination at all. I have no dash dimmer switch which I can only assume has been removed by a previous owner. Nothing wired into the ground connections A5,B8,C4 or D8 (looking at the forum "instrument panel" guide, which is very helpful) but do have a wire to A5. And very confusing, when I turn the dipped / main beams on, my fuel gauge climbs to full. I don't believe I have discovered the secret to infinite fuel!

I'm wondering if I can run an earth between the missing links. I know the dimmer can be removed if the wiring is simply joined, but must assume all of this has been stripped out. Any pointers on where to start with this mess?

Everything else on the dash seems to function correctly.

welshpug

Dont run the dimmer wires to earth, that'll blow the sidelight fuse,  base models had a blanking plate with a bridge on the back to plug into instead of the dimmer resistor.

No idea why your fuel gauge would go up with the sidelights on, that needs investigation in person.

Duzza

I've not been able to identify (from what is left in the car, nor the Haynes manual) which wires would have been for the dimmer in the first place.

Driving today I realise it isn't just the fuel gauge affected, it's all the small gauges (oil, fuel, water temp). I understand this is likely something only solved in person, so sounds like I may need to rope in some help after all...