• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

broadlybentspeed

Body repair conundrum - advice please!

broadlybentspeed

Looking for advice. In 1988 I bought a new silver 205Gti 1.6 and after the first year I had company cars so the Peugeot was used by my Wife until 2016. The car now has 84,000 miles on it and is a 'Survivor'  - not immaculate but very good used condition (see photos). it has a complete Service history and all bills MOT's and Tax discs and has always been garaged.  It has an agreed valuation of £9000 with Lancaster Insurance.   In the last few years it has had some light restoration - new beam rear axle and shock absorbers, new front struts, new front discs, rear pads, new exhaust, new radiator, silicone hoses. There is no rust on it apart from  a patch in front of rear drivers side wheel arch - this has been caused by the 'filler/sealant' at the end of the sill failing and the rust permeating up into the panel. (see photos). 

The question is - how to paint the rust patch repair - a silver car is difficult to match so should - the repair be blown in locally? or, the whole lower part of the body below the plastic side mouldings be resprayed? or, should the whole car be resprayed?   

Or finally - leave it alone and sell the car as is without repairing the rust? 

Rust conundrum.pdf

Leslie green

Id paint the lower section up to the trims on that side inc lower door and wing bottom to disguise any paint mismatch , some would just paint the 1/4 but laquer both 1/4 and door bottom . If you are selling it you don't  want to be spending a lot of money on it and id imagine its fairly rotten behind that rust by the look of it as rear of sill corner is gone.

series111

Totally agree the trim will break up any mismatch, that's way I would do it.

Gohn

wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing to sell as is

I'd prefer to buy it and fix myself

depends on the buyer really

Tom Fenton

A good bodyshop will easily sort that out. Probably paint to underneath the body kit.

broadlybentspeed

Thanks for the replies - all good advice!