• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Derek 205 Rallye

Sidewards play on gearlever 205 Rallye

Derek 205 Rallye

Hi All

Had the car up on the lift today, the shift is not too bad, but being a perfectionist I wanted to see if I could remove some of the lateral play in it when going across the gate. I checked the usual suspects like the nut on the subframe, the linkage joints are a little worn but not too bad.

Bud I did notice this play on the selector on the box... Also there is a dribble of oil under the box at this point so I suspect the bushings are worn for the selector shaft, and some of it is leaking out. Is there a replacement bush kit for this part, and do you think it is just worth replacing the roll pin first holding the lever to the shaft? Or is it a 'machine it up yourself in phosphor bronze' job?

Is it a gearbox out job even to replace the roll pin, so may as well do the whole lot in one go?

I can live with it for now as all the gears shift fine, but would like it to be perfect eventually.

Video for info.

Cheers

Derek

welshpug

The MA box is known for wearing the roll pin, i dont recall if its a single or double like a BE box but I suspect only a single, the BE has a small pin driven inside the main pin.

Not had an MA apart for a very long time so i wouldn't know if there's a bush.

Derek 205 Rallye

Thanks. One suggestion I had was to remove it, drill the hole out and fit a pinch bolt instead. Anyone tried this?

Derek 205 Rallye

Thanks, that's a very useful diagram! Perhaps the shaft seal needs changing too from the amount of oil on the shaft. It was suggested to drill the hole out to 8mm and use an M8 shank bolt and nut instead, I guess the hole can get enlarged over time?

SRDT

The main reason to drill from 7 to 8mm is that 7mm screws and pins are pretty unusual, if you have some used ones at hand they are likely taken from a car.

There can be more play with a bolt than with a spring pin, you need to drill at the right diameter so that the bolt can't be inserted by hand yet don't need too much violence when using a hammer.

You could also dril and tap at 90° from the pin and install a cone point grub screw.

Derek 205 Rallye

I like the grub screw idea... I have some M5 grub screws used to locate the rear axle into the bearings on a kart. I've not tried to remove the pin yet, but it doesn't look like a spring pin as it appears solid at one end. Is that oil seal inserted externally? Could it be replaced without opening the case? The other thing I am thinking of doing is 3d printing a nylon spacer to take out a little of the end float on that shaft, it would sit between the lever on the shaft and the casing, as long as it doesn't rub on the seal.

SRDT
Derek 205 Rallye

Got the new oil seal and the new spec spring split pins today. Can you just pull the oil seal out with a picking hook tool? The new pins are 7mm x 36mm length. Will get it all off next week and have a look with regards to wear and if it needs a grub screw to hold it tight on the selector before I splash any money on new selector rods.

Meanwhile here's a before and after picture of the sorry looking jack I found in a cardboard box in the boot! Came up nice...

20230803_104105.jpg

20230803_104039.jpg

Derek 205 Rallye

Sorted this finally. Followed the grub screw idea, and also fitted the new spring pin. I also did a little mod and made up a top hat out of Polycarbonate on the 3d printer. It locates inside the recess for the oil seal, and fits the shaft of the selector. Taken virtually all of the slop out of the gearlever without needing to change the linkages.

20230828_125922.jpg

20230827_182845.jpg