• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
boldy205

Aluminium radiator

boldy205

Hi all.

I'm looking improving the cooling on my GTi6 205 with a rotrex charger. 

My question is, does a full aluminium radiator help cool more effectively than a standard (Nissens) rad?

I appreciate the Nissens is already an aluminium core, but end thanks are still plastic.

Thanks

Matt

Tom Fenton

In my experience no not really. The only really big step change I found was fitting the turbo diesel 205 radiator, coolant capacity is a lot bigger and the car in question stays cool without hassle.

boldy205

Hi Tom. Thanks for the reply, nice to hear from someone who has tried it

Without a massive re jig of the radiators in the front, I think I will struggle to fit anything bigger.

When I have the car back I'll look into ducting what I have, as well as I can and go from there

Tom Fenton

The TD rad isn’t massively different footprint wise to the GTI rad, it’s just thicker. I hear you about making space though as with an intercooler and oil cooler it does get busy.

SRDT

Radiators for cars with A/C should have a thicker core but they still fit with the sandard radiator shroud unlike the TD rad.

petert

AC radiators are the same thickness and approx 15mm shorter, as they have to accommodate the condenser. Strange but true.

I just had a custom radiator made by PWR in Brisbane. They make 90% of the F1 radiators. It’s basically a Sierra RS500 copy.

My friend Parry uses an SR20 conversion radiator. I’ll see if I can find it on ebay.

This:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/402953100474?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0&ssspo=JE_GPU9HRu-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=7N9vItgJTR2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I made a few necessary changes with the TIG welder.

Edited by petert

SRDT

The A/C rad is smaller... did they use a better type of core or something? I know they had metal end tanks.

On a 309 the rad is a whole 10mm thicker.

boldy205

Hopefully the car will be back from mapping on Monday, do I'll have a good look and see where I can improve.

petert
10 hours ago, SRDT said:

The A/C rad is smaller... did they use a better type of core or something? I know they had metal end tanks.

On a 309 the rad is a whole 10mm thicker.

I don't think there's any difference in thickness. I'll measure one and get back to you. It's currently at a friend's place. The originals were all full copper/brass.

Edited by petert

welshpug

Most of the time its the big heatsoak sandwich that causes issues on the boosted cars,    standard rad works fine on an n-a application.

SweetBadger

Radtec can do a 50mm core version of the std rad.

They built one for my race car which was running hot with a nissens rad, did the job nicely.

https://www.radtec.co.uk/

They must have built it to the ac spec as it was shorter than std.

if you use them, and you want it to fit the std cowl then make sure you provide them with the correct dimensions, and remind them to offset the mounting pins at the bottom - if they are centred on a thicker rad then they are too far back for the std holes on the cowling. 

SRDT
12 hours ago, petert said:

The originals were all full copper/brass.

Probably "hot countries" rads, also used on cars with automatic gearbox or power steering.

The bottom spacers are not the same for radiators with brass end tanks so even with multiple part numbers they should all be more or less the same size.

boldy205

Thanks for the replies. I've got the car back now. Looks like I may have enough room for a diesel rad, so I'll try that. I'll also get some thick rubber sheet to try and create some ducting into the coolers 

Tom Fenton

Blocking holes off that allow air to bypass the radiators will help a lot. Just so you don't buy the wrong thing, its the TURBO DIESEL 205 rad you want, the diesel rad is the same as GTI.

boldy205

As in the 1.8 TD? 

boldy205

Screenshot_20230717-161628.png

boldy205

This is the one I can find, however my current GTi rad is 610X288 (core size, no end tanks inc in that measurement) so this Diesel one I'd too wide.

Tom Fenton

That looks right, it will fit, but not in the standard cowling, you would have to make some brackets 

petert

The more I think about this, the more I must be wrong. ie the AC radiator has to be 15mm higher, as it angles away from the top to the bottom.

boldy205
1 hour ago, Tom Fenton said:

That looks right, it will fit, but not in the standard cowling, you would have to make some brackets 

Thanks for confirming it's the one, Tom.

I've found a supplier, they want £240. Seems hilarious that it's always the expensive one I need!!

Tom Fenton

To be honest I'm pleasantly surprised that its still available. They were scarce some years ago.

boldy205

At least that explains it then I guess. Still a sight cheaper than more modern stuff I'm sure 

Cheers!

welshpug

TD rad uses a different fan cowling, might have one to hand if you go down that route.

boldy205
17 minutes ago, welshpug said:

TD rad uses a different fan cowling, might have one to hand if you go down that route.

Thanks, however, my rad is mounted on some custom brackets so I'm not using an original cowling.

petert

AC radiator is 295 high and 42 thick.

IMG_4070.jpeg