• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shonkers

Flywheel locking tool

shonkers

Hi guys, i’m changing timing belt on my ‘88 1.9  and need the tool to lock up the flywheel does anyone one have one or the part number   please?  i’d normally wang a screwdriver in but hav’nt got a helper atm, ps does it look like this? 

1C73157F-E4A9-40A2-BE67-E5E5DE62EB1E.png

Tom Fenton

Can't say I've ever needed one, be a lot of extra work to remove the starter motor to be able to use it anyway. If you have a decent windy gun you can gun the bottom pulley bolt out easy enough.

DamirGTI

I always work by myself , and just wedge screwdriver or small pry bar between the flywheel ring gear and block - tbh never needed someone helping , sometimes i just rest/push on the tip of the screwdriver with my foot to keep it wedged in place so it doesn't slip whilst tightening the crank pulley bolt .

D

pug_ham
8 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

be a lot of extra work to remove the starter motor to be able to use it anyway.

@Tom Fenton the type pictured bolts to the gearbox underneath when you remove the small metal plate / clutch dirt shield using an M6 bolt, although I have used the on the gearbox bolt holes with the engine out of the car.

This is the type I bought / use when I want to lock the flywheel, I've posted a part number long ago but it's eluding me in a search.

There's one Here on ebay

g

Gohn
22 hours ago, shonkers said:

normally wang a screwdriver in

wang ! 

worth a pic of one in use

got one a while back, without any idea how to use it for a while

same as graham's link, think I got it from them too

(the diesel flywheel has a M7 locking hole accessed in under the starter, you can see it in the photo, so the little locker pictured is a backup)

flywheellock.jpg

Edited by Gohn
edit

welshpug
27 minutes ago, Gohn said:

(the diesel flywheel has a M7 locking hole accessed in under the starter, you can see it in the photo, so the little locker pictured is a backup)

That is for timing ONLY.  

NOT for locking.

shonkers

Iv’e got a windy gun which i used to remove crank pulley bolt but didn’t want to use it to torque it correctly, i used to work on 205 diesels and know about the hole behind starter for timing up and wouldn’t use it to torque crank or cam pulley bolt. Yeh was thinking of using one foot but have ordered that one pictured thanks for all your replies

DamirGTI

You can make DIY flywheel locking tool ...

Need an piece of iron bar/strip , sheet steel of say 2mm thickness or more .. put an piece of plain white paper on the bottom where the flywheel tin cover bolts on so one piece of paper covers bottom "half moon" of the flywheel ring gear and another piece covers lower gearbox housing end - then just run an dirty/oily glove across the paper an you'll get the imprint of the flywheel bit and gearbox housing on the paper .. cut that paper template with scissors , and transfer it on the iron and mark teeth and holes .

Then cut the flywheel teeth pattern on the iron with the grinder , and drill 2 holes for it to bolt onto the gearbox housing .. so it'll look essentially kinda like an saw blade with which you'll lock the flywheel .

Bit tricky to explain , will post a picture of that DIY locking tool if i can find it ...

D

DamirGTI

t_023_bloque_couronne_demarreur.jpg

• Like 2

petert

I made my own from 3mm mild steel plate, which uses the two holes for the ignition timing plate. ie M7 bolt and the dowel. Sorry, I’m not at home to post a pic.

I use the same tool on iron blocks, but with an M6 bolt.

Edited by petert