• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wildejon

Oil pressure and warning light :(

wildejon

OK, this is interesting and confusing.

With just the ignition on, if I cut the pressure sensor out of the loop, the gauge goes to full (photo attached) - which I guess means I need to replace the sensor and that the wiring is OK.

If I cut the pressure sender (the low pressure switch) out of the loop, I don't get a STOP or low pressure light - should it? (I think yes, or it would always be on)

I cannot find the correct plug to check under the dash, there are SO many wires and I don't know know which to check :(

AFAIK, it isn't connected to a fuse so I can rule out all of that wiring. That still leaves a lot though.

I also know it was orange, but so are many of the wires :blink:

Is it a floating connector or is it attached to the side wall?

Thanks! in advance!

IMG_8279.jpg

Edited by wildejon

wildejon

Progress:
Low pressure light works!

STOP light doesn’t (I thought they were connected)
I think I need to replace the pressure sensor as it’s is mis-reading, I can’t get the old one off tho. It’s got some black plastic nut over the small one, ideas?

wildejon

But the sensor gets 6V, is that normal?

wildejon

OK so... I still think this is purely a wiring problem as I know the engine pressure is fine but...

The gauge shows low pressure and the low pressure and STOP lights come on.

The pressure switch does have a 12V feed.

The pressure sender has a 6V feed. I assume this isn't normal as the internal gauge also reads half of the mechanical one.

I am totally at a loss as what to do now. 

I don't know where the feed comes from or how I would sort it out if I did know. Any ideas? 

wildejon

Sorted! There are actually 2 problems.

the sensor (switch) was faulty. No more false warnings now it’s replaced!

There are still issues with the gauge giving a low pressure reading but I’ll leave that for another time.

Thanks for the help along the way.

• Thanks 1

welshpug

I dont recall ever checking what volts the gauge runs at, but if the engine loom has the brown multiplug in the middle under the afm area I would disconnect this and check the volts there and the condition of the terminals

Edited by welshpug

pug_ham

Glad you have some resolution to your problem Jon.

On 7/3/2023 at 8:20 PM, wildejon said:

I removed the brown multiplug, now it has nice waterproof connections, yay.

2 hours ago, welshpug said:

if the engine loom has the brown multiplug in the middle under the afm area I would disconnect this and check the volts there and the condition of the terminals

The brown multiplug has already been replaced, can't account for the condition of the wires within the loom but they are usually pretty black from my experience which could explain the drop in voltage if the starter solenoid wire is anything to go by.

g