• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Tideee

Which cylinder head bolts to use ????

Tideee

Evening all

In process of rebuilding my 8v 1.9 XU engine and just wanted to seek advice on which head bolts to use ??......I've got a set of brand new Victor Reinz torx head stretch bolts AND a set of used 10.9 grade Hex head bolts ......so opinions on which to use and if I were to re-use the 10.9 grade ones, is there a recommended (...or different ??) tightening sequence than what is shown in the Haynes manual please ???

IMG-1818.jpg

Edited by Tideee
spelling

Telf

Don't use the used ones.

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

The hex head ones are the earlier non stretch type and can be re used if you wanted to.

Tideee
3 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

The hex head ones are the earlier non stretch type and can be re used if you wanted to.

Thanks Tom ;) - do you happen to have recommended tightening torque for the early Hex head bolts please ??

Tom Fenton

Not to hand, I'm fairly sure it is in the early orange cover Haynes manual though.

DamirGTI

THB i'd rather go with the new torx type bolts ... but with different torque settings than the OE specified , like so :

Grease bolt threads with moly grease (clean bolt holes in the block and blow off dry with compressed air)

1- 30Nm

2- 55Nm

3- Slacken + 55NM

4- 80Nm

5- 95Nm

... myself using this method for years now - no problems what so ever . 

Old hexagonal bolts have specific torque sequence per each individual bolt (kinda like for Renault DF series engines) and you suppose to run the engine till it warms up then loosen and re-torque again .

Hex bolts :

1- 58Nm

2- 20Nm (after slackening)

3- 1/3 of a turn (120deg.)

Further info for hex. bolts torque/re-torque prior and post warm up :

IMG_1316.JPG

IMG_1317.JPG

• Like 2

Telf

I used the specified torque settings on the torx bolts as per the manual when I built my engine. It was fine.

I'd had my block and head vapour blasted so no s*ite anywhere. Follow the manual. It's 20k down the road now and still going strong.

• Like 1