• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Phil Gti

Igintion coul help needed

Phil Gti

I have searched for quite some time but cannot find the answer.

I have a 1991 205 1.6 Gti which had the ignition coil bolted to the inlet manifold

I sold the engine and have now swapped it for a 1.9 engine. The problem is that the manifold isn't the same type as the 1.6 one.

The inlet manifold has been ported and painted so I don't want to buy another with the mounting points on top of it. 

Question is what to do with the  ignition coil. Do I need a different coil, if so which one and where is it placed.

Or do I buy a longer HT lead and mount the coil elsewhere. 

welshpug

earlier cars had the coil on a bracket behind the battery on the side of the strut tower, along with the ignition amplifier,    most decent plug lead kits came with both types of King lead to suit either type, as the other leads were all the same.

whether the coil wiring would be long enough to reach this prior location I'm not sure.

DamirGTI

Personally , i'd go with the cylindrical wing mounted coil (wiring it up isn't hard) .. later square inlet manifold mounted coils are not as near reliable as old cylindrical , replaced a fair few of the late square coils and not a single early cylindrical coil to this day . 

With cylindrical coils tendencies are they just go "lazy" as they age/go bad but still work , whilst square coils flat out go bust .

D

Phil Gti

That helps, any chance of posting a few pics of a cylindrical coil in place abd wiring required pls

Phil Gti

I did notice the last time I was working on my car the captive nuts on the N/S tower and wondered what they were for. My car had the original airbox and ducting removed and swappwd for a K&N set up and assumed they were for the induction parts.

Phil Gti

Thanks for your advice. Decided to install a cylinder type coil and extend the wiring to suit.