• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

MJS

1.6 GTI static timing

MJS

Howdy,

The car E reg 1.6 GTI 

It's not run for a few years...

So far we've changed the cam belt, aux belt, HT leads, and dizzy. 

I want to set the ignition timing, the Haines manual has a lovely hand drawn diagram for setting the timing (pic attached). The problem is I cannot see where this is in the engine bay. 

It's the flywheel, I've found the solitary mark on the flywheel on the underside of the engine with the cover removed, where you lock the flywheel to do the belts. But where does it line up to?

Cheers!

PXL_20230516_202322807.jpg

petert

Maybe someone has removed the timing marker? From my website. The same tool being used to find TDC on a Motronic website. Sorry it's not in focus.

Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 6.57.35 pm.png

• Thanks 1

MJS

Thanks, this helps. 

It's this taken from above the engine?  Do you have to remove the air intake to see it?

welshpug

I believe it'll be just visible past the AFM, may have to move some wiring to see it, its near the starter motor through a window in the gearbox.

• Thanks 1

MJS

Great, thanks, trying to find out in the dark last night was not working well for us. 

Appreciate the help. 

Tom Fenton

Its that buried in the engine bay its difficult to see with everything in place, let alone get a timing light near it. I've most successfully adjusted the ignition timing by arse dyno, basically keep advancing it bit by bit until it starts to pink under high load at low revs, then back it off a touch until it stops pinking and call it done. Usually takes 20 min driving about stopping and starting with an 11mm spanner in your pocket.

• Thanks 1

MJS

I don't feel so bad about not being able to see it by torch light last night now!

SRDT

Peugeot dealers had a special tool to set ignition timing and it used the "diagnostic" plug to get engine speed so they didn't care much about the timing marker.