• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Steve205

Clutch heavy. Cables snapping. Be1

Steve205

Hi all.

Guidance required please.

I have an 89 1.6 gti. Be1 box. I own car 3 years. 

Have been trying to improve everything while in my ownership and keep thing as Oe as possible .

Clutch has always been heavy since I've had her.

Last July the cable snapped.

The garage suggested she get a new clutch. 

A new clutch (Luk, I think) and cable (Firstline 1103) were installed. 

The new clutch was just as heavy as ever.

Car is used regularly,  not sat in storage for lengthy periods. 

Does about 4000 miles a year.

Last Friday evening the cable snapped again. 

As stated she has a Be1 mechanism. 

New cable put in yesterday.

Clutch still heavy. 

Is there someone who can point me to possible cause of problem please? 

Not sure what could be the problem. Car is in very good order other than this. Want to rectify the problem if possible.  

Attached are photos of set up this morning. 

Thanks, Stephen. 

20230427_134933.jpg

20230427_134922.jpg

welshpug

the pivot on the quadrant has two top hat bushes that can wear, the bolt also needs the 3mm thick washer underneath or it can clamp down too tight.

looks like the half spherical spacer is missing between the 13mm nut and the large metal cap, and lastly the pin between the lever and quadrant does not look correct.

welshpug

another thought having checked which type the FKC1103 cable is, check the shape of the hole in the pedal box, that is a post 90 type fitting on the pedal box end in the pictures, where the hole is round.

pre 90 should have a bayonet style fitting, cable is FKC1150

Anthony
3 minutes ago, welshpug said:

another thought having checked which type the FKC1103 cable is, check the shape of the hole in the pedal box, that is a post 90 type fitting on the pedal box end in the pictures, where the hole is round.

pre 90 should have a bayonet style fitting, cable is FKC1150

Change is earlier than that in my experience - certainly a couple of '89/F plate's I've owned have had the later push-fit type cable fitting.  I think the change is more like late '88 in reality.

Steve205

Thanks for replies.  

It  is correct cable. It is not bayonet style. It is definitely fkc 1103.

Car is cross-over point of most parts. Previously F reg. in UK

The pin between pivot and lever has been in car since purchase. Measures 40mm same as bullet oe type. Can make up a pin to insert.

Are the  top hat bushes available freely? Is a part number available? 

Thanks.  

Stephen 

Lukaner

How many miles has this Clutch Covered?

It can be that the Clutch is Worn which will cause a heavy Pedal.

I also have a BE1 Transmission and the Original Clutch just covered 70000 Miles.

Over the Time of 20000 Miles i Snapped about 5 Cables until i Changed the Clutch.

It wasnt even complete Worn and had still some Meat on it.

Since i changed it, the Clutch is now Supersoft and has a nice feeling

Steve205

This clutch has less than 2000 miles covered approx. 

Stephen 

Lukaner

Reading helps, sorry i didnt see it.

Lukas

dcc

there is also a pivot inside the gearbox, not sure if its an issue with BE1's but certainly in the defender boxes the pivot can wear through and cause issues on the lever arm. but I would first off replace the bushes in the 'L' bracket as theyre cheap, and I would also get the right length pin. The other option is to convert it to a BE3 setup.

Steve205

Thanks for replies and advice. As usual welshpug is spot on. Got chance today and removed quadrant arm. No washer present and fair to say 2 mangled top hat washers. Hopefully I can source them easily enough... Would a factors have them?

Thanks again. 

Stephen 

20230501_164537.jpg

20230501_164521.jpg

welshpug

looks like someone had fitted brass/phosphor bronze items in place of the original Nylon type

(i think they are the same bush as the quadrant on the subframe, BakerBM have done a kit to fit there, using a standard bolt and a ground sleeve)

the originals were a dealer only item (2175 05,  x2)      14mm bore 17mm outside, the bolt would have a 14mm shank with M10 thread, washer is 27mm o.d, 10mm hole 2mm thick.

Steve205

Thanks so much for that information welshpug.

Will go to factors tomorrow and hope they can help me.  Getting stuff from UK is a pain for us because of duties and import charges etc. ....

Have got some stuff from Stew at BakerBM before so if all else fails, I'll give them a shout. 

Really appreciate the brilliant help. 

Stephen 

welshpug

none of it will be from a factors, unless they happen to be a stellantis group dealer/authorised repairer that can do original parts.

never tried it but the gear linkage kit might work on the clutch mechanism seeing as the bushes are the same.

• Thanks 1

Steve205

Was thinking about your info this morning welshpug.

Went rooting in my spares box. Found old subframe L pivot I changed out 2 years ago.  The exact nylon bushes were in it and looked in very good condition. 

Popped them in and used washer off old bolt too. Winner. How tight do I go when reconnecting quadrant arm?

Don't want to over do it. 

Thanks again. 

Stephen 

Steve205

Took car out this evening after replacing bushes on quadrant. It was like driving a new car.  Smooth as silk. Gear changes crisp and clutch cable gliding in and out. 

Night and day.

Thanks for the guidance. Appreciate it. Still beaming....

Stephen 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1