• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
xstian

Dash Compatibility Diesel & GTi

xstian

I'm going to fit a Tu5j4 engine into my diesel van. The van currently has a D-Turbo dash. 

Does any one have any ideas if this dash will be compatible with this new engine or will I need a GTi dash and loom. I know the rev counter pick up is different, so mainly just interest in the warning lights. I guess the temp gauge should be fine or just a sensor swap. What about the diesel fuel gauge with a GTi tank? Any other problems people can for see?

Cheers Christian.

Gohn

could you clarify with a pic of the current dash and a GTi one, as I thought the Dturbo and STDT had the same dash as a GTi

that aside, I went the other way (petrol to D) so qualify my suggestions with that

the diesel fuel gauge is the same as petrol ones

you will need to get a petrol fuel pump for the tank (D's have a basic pickup and the injection pump essentially pulls it up from the engine bay)

the petrol cars have a vapor breather hose setup running from tank to the front left where there is a container cylinder, and it loops up around the filler neck

not sure you could get around this without just getting a petrol tank and connections

the fuel feed/return lines from tank to engine bay bulkhead are the same

petrol cars have a spring loaded vapor flap in the filler neck which is moulded in

diesel filler neck is wider for diesel bowser and has no vapor flap so you'll need a petrol filler neck

you'll also need a catalytic converter for your exhaust system ? and the wiring for it

welshpug

Fuel sender is the same, wont be a fuel pump wire in the diesel loom though I would imagine,  certainly wasnt in a carb loom when I did a 1.1 tu to gti6.

In that instance we just swapped the whole interior loom and engine loom connectors

Edited by welshpug

xstian

I don't have a photo to hand, but the DTurbo doesn't have the oil pressure or Temp gauges.

I knew there would be wiring needed for the fuel pump, hadn't thought about the tank filler or breather circuit.

I might keep an eye out for a dash and interior loom. I assume the fuel pump wiring is part of the interior loom?

Gohn

yeah didn't think of the fuel pump wiring but it is part of the interior loom

runs across the cabin under the carpet

and what I called the fuel gauge mei correctly calls the fuel sender