• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ant

Few queries after engine rebuild / reinstall

Ant

Hi,

Happy New Year to all :)

I've finally cracked on with sorting the engine in the 205 GTi ( 1.6 1991 ) i purchased in May.

Its nearly back together, with just a few things i could do with assistance on - my bad for not  taking better pictures when removing.

1st.. 3 pin connectors. There is a 3 pin connector on the loom with the injectors, coil pack.  There is also part of a loom ( 2 x 2 pin and 1 x 3 pin that connect to the SAD and water sensor ) which has an identical 3 pin.

I am assuming that the 3 pin from the injector / coil loom goes to the dizzy connection ? Can somebody please clarify. And then can somebody advise on where the 3 pin thats part of the loom to the SAD and water sensor connects to.

2nd.. Crank sensor.. Pretty sure the GTis had the hole in the later box casing, but no sensor  ? Have i misplaced a cover or something, or should there be an exposed hole there.

3rd - Speed sensor diagnostic plug - again, im pretty sure its not connected - ie up and leave out of the way ?

4rd - Throttle body.. Difficult to explain, but on mine, one of the pipes has been blocked by a bolt - litterally forced into the connector hole. picture below for reference, but its one of the connectors on the right. 

thoughts ? - were they blocked with cromets originally and previous owner forced a bolt in ?

09ef5e33-7a37-4688-a769-5efbbe4ec0f8.jpg

5th - and final question.. Best way to crank an engine thats not been started for 15 years ? everything is cleaned out, so very little oil in it apart from the sump and a bit in the head.. Just put a + on the starter solonoid and let it crank around a few times to get the oil flowing ?

many thanks

pug_ham
1 hour ago, Ant said:

Hi,

Happy New Year to all :)

I've finally cracked on with sorting the engine in the 205 GTi ( 1.6 1991 ) i purchased in May.

Its nearly back together, with just a few things i could do with assistance on - my bad for not  taking better pictures when removing.

1st.. 3 pin connectors. There is a 3 pin connector on the loom with the injectors, coil pack.  There is also part of a loom ( 2 x 2 pin and 1 x 3 pin that connect to the SAD and water sensor ) which has an identical 3 pin.

I am assuming that the 3 pin from the injector / coil loom goes to the dizzy connection ? Can somebody please clarify. And then can somebody advise on where the 3 pin thats part of the loom to the SAD and water sensor connects to.

2nd.. Crank sensor.. Pretty sure the GTis had the hole in the later box casing, but no sensor  ? Have i misplaced a cover or something, or should there be an exposed hole there.

3rd - Speed sensor diagnostic plug - again, im pretty sure its not connected - ie up and leave out of the way ?

4rd - Throttle body.. Difficult to explain, but on mine, one of the pipes has been blocked by a bolt - litterally forced into the connector hole. picture below for reference, but its one of the connectors on the right. 

5th - and final question.. Best way to crank an engine thats not been started for 15 years ? everything is cleaned out, so very little oil in it apart from the sump and a bit in the head.. Just put a + on the starter solonoid and let it crank around a few times to get the oil flowing ?

1. Of the two pin plugs, is one black and one blue? The SAD plug is usually black where the Coolant temp sensor plug is blue. 

One of the the three pin plugs is probably the throttle switch on your throttle body and the other for the dizzy.  Guess work on my side but I'd expect the one with the coil & injectors is the dizzy plug and the other with the SAD etc the throttle switch.  It might be wise to peel the rubber boot back & look for any wire numbers though to make sure they are right.

Is your coil on the inlet manifold?

2. If you're still using the original jetronic ecu then there is no crank sensor on the GTI.

3. Just leave it off, it's unlikely it will still work and I doubt you'd find anywhere with a suitable machine to plug it into now anyway.

4. I wouldn't worry about it, the coolant pipes which run to the throttle body are un-necessary in the UK and quite a few people on here have left them out of the system, returning the pipe to the expansion tank from the thermostat housing T pipe instead of looping via the throttle body.  The only pipes you need to connect from the throttle body is the vacuum pipe to the dizzy which is the one with the black cap on in your picture iirc and the pipe in the breather system on top of the TB.

5. Remove the fuel pump fuse & coil plug then crank it over on the starter for a couple of 20 second bursts.  

g

Ant

Many thanks..

the 3 pin makes perfect sense.. I couldnt find anything left to connect it to ( everything is fitted apart from AFM and throttle ( because of the formentioned query over the blanking screw ) - hence it will be that - which means ive missed nothing.

Many thanks !