• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gavin Waddell

Electroplating nyloc nuts

Gavin Waddell

Im rebuilding my rear beam and want to do things properly so going to get everything plated.

Now  peugeot decided to use Metric Fine threads on the rear beam bolts, i ve been looking around for new nuts in M10f and i cant really find what i want. 

My question is this, could i get all the old nuts plated even thought they are nyloc and then use loctite when i mount everything back up? 

Thanks Gavin

SRDT

If some of the cleaning bath or plating bath find it's way behind the nylon ring the brand new plating will corrode in a matter of days.

I have only seen it with porous welds at my job as we simply buy plated nyloc nuts ; usually from McMaster-Carr if it's some unusual metric or imperial size.

Leslie green

I just got mine replated , the large m14 nyloc you can buy in gold passive but its a shallower nut  so not quite the same , will give it a go and see.

jord294

Never had an issue plating new nuts to zinc passivate

SRDT

On cheap nuts and bolts the plating can be very thin and the golden passivation coating mostly for show, it's better to use those rated for 200 hours of salt spray when possible.

Tom Fenton
18 hours ago, Gavin Waddell said:

Im rebuilding my rear beam and want to do things properly so going to get everything plated.

Now  peugeot decided to use Metric Fine threads on the rear beam bolts, i ve been looking around for new nuts in M10f and i cant really find what i want. 

My question is this, could i get all the old nuts plated even thought they are nyloc and then use loctite when i mount everything back up? 

Thanks Gavin

The nuts on the beam assy are 12mm not 10mm, be careful what you order, you need 12x1.25, some places call this extra fine. M12 standard is 1.75 pitch, there is also 12x1.5 pitch which is what is sometimes called M12 fine.

You won’t tell the difference from the drivers seat between using the extra fine M12 bolts or standard M12.

• Like 1

Gavin Waddell

Thanks everyone, im just going to get the old nuts and bolts plated and then add loctite when i mount every thing up. Should be good enough.