• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MrStock

Strange Ignition modul problem

MrStock

Hello,

my 1.9 GTI 1990 running good all the time, but cuts ignition after driving for 2 hours or something. It wont start or drive than. No spark. Its still my daily. After the engine is cold it has spark again and runs normal. So as far as i know its cause the ignition modul getting hot, so i ordered another. The one in it, and its for sure the first one, has the Bosch number: 0227 100 123.

I cant get that one for new, so i buyed 2 from other companies, both the engine didnt start than i realised they have 7 pins and i need 6. Now i ordered one with 6, the engine runs, but seems to missfire a lot.

So i put in the old module with new heat paste. Works fine for the moment, but i dont know how to get a new working module or what iam doing wrong.

Any ideas?

Thx!

DamirGTI

6 or 7 pins it doesn't really matter so both types will be fine , pin No. 7 on the ignition module is just additional "tacho output" .

Which brand where those aftermarket modules you tried ?

There's some nasty cheap modules nowadays , for older cars such as 205 especially ...

Try : Hitachi/Huco 138001 ... that one should be good/decent quality .

Other than the module , could be that the coil is faulty .. especially later variant of inlet manifold mounted square coil those often go bad .

Also bad module sometimes damages the coil too .. thus if in doubt try both , known good spare coil and module or both items new as you wish .

Old blue Bosch 0 227 100 123 modules you can often find on ebay , scrapyards .. they usually last for ages , thus second hand one will likely still be good .. if in doubt get two of them .

D

SRDT

Isn't your 1.9 engine a 122 hp XU9JAZ with cat?

New "123" modules be it from Bosch or other brands usually don't work well with the Motronic ECU, the Huco catalog even specify that the 138001 module isn't suited for XU9JAZ engines.

Try to get you hands on an original Bosch blue module to see if that fixes your problem.

MrStock

Do you think a new thermal paste will fix that problem? At the moment it runs fine with the old one with new paste. But im afraid of driving longer.

SRDT

You are probably fine with the new paste and the old module. Usually a toasted module only let you run for a few seconds.

MrStock

thx!