• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

David Simson

Standard springs and dampers

David Simson

I recently bought a 1.9 which is in generally good condition but needs some TLC.

One of the things the GTI was known for in its day was compliant suspension. Not soft, but compliant.

i want to get the car back to original spec and I am convinced the springs / dampers or both are way too firm.

As we're in 2022, can anyone recommend the best springs and dampers to buy which are closest to 1989 spec?

Thanks,  

Tom Fenton

Springs are tricky, used genuine are the best bet in honesty if you can get some. Dampers, Bilstein B4 are a good replacement and close to what I think standard were.

• Like 1

Gohn

I'd recommend getting some original front and rear struts/shocks and springs

peugeot set up the cars fantastic from factory so they are the right kind of soft and the shocks last just about forever so do the springs

but I'd qualify that by saying my experience is with the Si and TurboD, haven't owned a GTi

you will need to look about to find a set and obviously buy pairs

it'll take longer than getting aftermarket which is easy, but will be cheaper and way better if you're going for original spec anyway

if you still want to go down the aftermarket road, billstein b4's seem to be popular

stay clear of koni's (I've tried them and they were very very hard)

Tom Fenton
2 minutes ago, Gohn said:

the shocks last just about forever

The dampers do not last forever at all, they don't leak granted, but they also don't damp anywhere near like they should as they are all now 25 years old or more.

Fitting new standard spec dampers to a 205 that has its original items on, transforms it.

Gohn

fair call, not disagreeing Tom just further qualifying

haven't done a straight swap to compare with brand newbies so I can't claim to know about it

all the ones I've ever had (about 8 all up) were originals except the poorly rated Koni's and a set of GTi rear originals

all the originals have been really great, still use them daily on the lumpy roads here

also, the GTi ones were a little firmer when I bought a pair and tried them a while back

David Simson

I'd just like to say thanks for all of the help and suggestions regarding springs and dampers. Very much appreciated

Telf

I fitted Bilsten B4 to mine when I rebuilt it. Front springs I tried to reuse my old ones but after powder coating and build the whole front end sat too high. I dunno if the powder process knackered them. In the end I bought some springs 3mm dropped compared to standard which seemed to bring the whole car into a correct looking stance. It's all detailed in my build thread unless it's been deleted.

soundguy

Sachs dampers have been put forward before as a good replacement - might be worth looking into.

DamirGTI

Indeed , i've Sachs dampers on mine for quite a while now along with Eibach springs .. they're proven really good and closest to the OE dampers .

Unsure if you can still get them for a 205 GTi .. there where two versions for 205 at the time , Super touring (blue sticker) and Advantage or Performance can't remember (red sticker) .

From the experiences of others (on various car brands/makes) and mine on which i've fitted Sachs dampers people often say they're usually closest match to the OE dampers .

Bilsten - usually very good ... KYB Ultra and Excel-G also recommended .. TRW dampers where pleasant surprise on the last few cars on which i installed them ..

I'd certainly avoid Monroe as the quality of them has gone way down .. and all the rest unknown branded cheap dampers .

Springs are tricky as Tom said above ... OE ones are the best and don't have habit of rusting/snapping coils so should be good still ... OE or Eibach lowering springs .

Peugeot was pretty "obsessive compulsive" with the entire assembly springs-and-dampers , so much so they've decided making them by themselves within the factory rather than "outsourcing" from any of the above brands which make dampers for OE factory fitment and aftermarket .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

Steve205

I recently put Kyb Excel-g shocks all round on my 1.6 GTI. Standard springs. Very happy with results.  Maybe sitting a little high at front,  but could just be the correct height as previous dampers seemed to be 33 year old originals. 

Stephen.